Poll: Should we switch to Discourse?

asdf

I apologise. I am not an American and I do not know the full connotations such terms may still have. For me, I only meant a public attempt to enact justice or to punish outside the system. I have edited my post to say “mob justice” instead. I hope that conveys what I mean in sensitive enough language.

asdf

I am not ignoring them (Sequitur, furkle, catacalypto, grrozny, and others), and I think their concerns matter. I think your concerns matter, Lucea. I want them to be addressed in a concrete way that satisfies you. I don’t know what else I can do except continue to echo your (our) concerns. Let’s make it a thesis statement: Many IF authors and players avoid this forum because they see insensitive/abusive people who appear to be tolerated here. At this point it seems like it’s up to the moderators to announce a decision about what they will or won’t do to address this problem. I have faith that they are not ignoring it, though I don’t expect a resolution during Thanksgiving weekend.

It doesn’t have to be a choice of revolution or nothing. A new server could run concurrently with the old server. Threads on the old server could be locked as they become unused - a gradual freezing over weeks or months.

We need to take great care in choosing whether or not to exclude people on political grounds. People who are oppressed or who fear oppression will be looking at our choices fearing that they will be excluded. Today people of all faiths and creeds share their love of interactive fiction here. Would ten random Americans vote to include Muslims in our forum? I’m afraid they would not.

I appreciate your effort to take this seriously and facilitate the discussion here - honestly. But it’s been made clear that the moderation here considers real concerns that have been brought forward about certain users to be just “public outcry” and that removing users that have been consistently abusive is not going to happen because it would be “mob justice.” I don’t think trusting the moderation team to ban those who need banning in the future is going to happen. It hasn’t happened in the past and they’ve just said they’re not going to do it with users that are being a problem in the present.

So at this point I think my points have been made and continuing to argue here is just going to exacerbate other people’s distress (that, quite frankly, the moderation team here is to some extent responsible for as well). So I’m going to be leaving again, and I’m going to be continuing to tell people to stay right the fuck away from this place.

I wasn’t referring to you here – iirc you hadn’t really been participating in this part of the discussion – but a common thread has been bemoaning the people “driven off” (generally this is cited as evidence I am a terrible person), while people who have actually stated, here, that they have been or are being driven off are completely ignored. Again, for some reason.

(Are they gone now?)

I will only bemusedly observe that everything here has been running pretty smoothly until a number of people who defected for whichever of their own personal reasons in the past came flooding back to demand that rules here need to change due to some argument that started on some other forum.

Mods: You have done and continue to do a great job controlling things. Thank you!

Seriously? Things were going smoothly until the people who were being victimised started complaining about it?

I’m not sure who that is in reference to – I suspect it is being applied only to a couple people, where it actually applies to quite a few – but not only have I been active here for years, this entire “flooding back” was a direct result of an incident that happened to me. Ironically, that incident involved someone active on this forum (me) being derailed and attacked by someone not active on it. I’m not sure what else I have to do to have my opinion be valid.

I have to say, this post struck me as really mean-spirited and disappointing. I didn’t think you would be one to dismiss the real concerns other people have and the distress others have experienced, but I guess I was wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=02QUmKVsyFY

Run a NNTP server.

This forum is great. Discourse looks like a mess.