Player poll regarding parser deaths. (Nothing spicy, just getting a gauge for typical behavior.)

I’d love to ask folks here a question, if I may?
If you were playing a parser game and you did something that led to your character dying, with the appropriate description ending with, “You are now dead” what would be your very next action?

• Undo :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:
  • Quit :x:
  • Restart :repeat:
  • Reload :floppy_disk:
  • Anything else :question:
0 voters

Feel free to comment or leave your thoughts or logic. I would really appreciate to understand what the typical intuition is here. Thanks for the feedback, sincerely.

4 Likes

Most common case: undo.
If I don’t think undo will work, cycle through through the saves.
If I am having a truly transcendent time in spite of no saves (or I just started): restart.
If I have no saves, or I just am not having a good experience, I might bounce.

there are always exceptions!

5 Likes

When playing an old-school game, I keep tons of saves (to deal with walking dead states), so I’ll probably reload. For more modern games, though, I generally expect that a handful of UNDOs will get me out of whatever situation I died in.

4 Likes

This poll only lets you pick one option, but my answer would depend on how telegraphed or avoidable the death was. If it was very avoidable, I’d undo, but if it was just an out of nowhere death, I’d probably quit.

4 Likes

Nothing spicy

Aaaaah, not another “death of the parser” thread!

4 Likes

Definitely not.

2 Likes

Depends on my mood.

3 Likes

Would that count as an " Anything Else :question:" vote?

3 Likes

If the death leads to the conclusion that I took a totally wrong road much earlier, then RESTART. But 99% of time UNDO.

3 Likes

If I die from something in a parser where I understand why I died, and could understand the risk ahead of time, then I undo.

If I die from something that completely takes me by surprise and I had zero reason to predict or understand that a risk was involved, then I’m closing the game. If the game doesn’t care about planning, then I don’t care about playing.

4 Likes

This.

I feel very strongly that the game should undo or rewind for you if you die. Don’t give the player the option to quit at that point. Just take them back. Rewinding to checkpoints is very standard.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s because I haven’t played that much IF in the grand scheme(and honestly, didn’t know undo was even a command until playing “So you’ve never played a Text Adventure before?” at the recommendation of the Parser recommendations for newbies thread), but I’d probably be confused by not being automatically re spawned. Granted, now that I know undo is a thing, I might use it.

3 Likes

I’ll add that I don’t mind needing to save if there’s an understanding between myself and the game. I play a lot of Infocom games, and I don’t mind all the trouble because I signed up for it.

My big thought :tm: is that a game should teach you how to play it.

6 Likes

I UNDO. If that’s not possible I RESTORE. If the game has no sense and I’ve died like 20 times then QUIT.

3 Likes

First of all, it depends on where it happened. Sometimes it’s easier to reload or even start over. I usually use the undo command.
Secondly, It is possible that such an ending will satisfy me, but only if it is really an (“highly artistic”) ending.

As an additional option for “Anything else”, I can suggest “I’ll use a hint/walkthrough”.

2 Likes

I think that video counts as “rage quit”.

As a tester or an advanced player, you just have to try things to see what happens. WIll I die? Will I get a funny response? Is the implied danger a red herring and all will be well? If the game has UNDO and you know it has undo, then you can just try it, then undo if you get killed. If it doesn’t have undo, you can save the game, attempt the risky move, then restore if you get killed.

If only real life had these options!

4 Likes

This question should be rhetorical because the game shouldn’t end just because the pc dies. Instead, thr game should have some amusing or comedy take on your ill advised action, then offer you undo or rewind.

Rewind is where the game automatically resets you to a good position, like a checkpoint.