Planning for ParserComp 2023 (2nd Quarter 2023)

Curious?

How did this thread get moved from “Planning for ParserCoimp 2023”?

“Jams, Competitions, Parsers and Definitions” should have been a new thread.

I’m afraid that for a second I had more influence in this community than the one I deserve : _D

Let me enjoy the moment!

3 Likes

I moved it per request as some of the discussion was drifting from ParserComp into definitions of what a parser was and it warranted a new thread.

It is a new thread, unless you’re experiencing something different.

1 Like

On request, I’ve moved all the posts from the split thread back to this one.

The original poster asked for the split, then someone IMed and wanted them moved back.

I don’t mind moving stuff, but if there’s going to be arguments I’m much less willing to do that. If there should be a new thread, start a new one.

Sorry for the slight bit of impatience.

2 Likes

This forum appreciates you! (I was fine either way, but you deserve to know that you are appreciated!)

6 Likes

Absolutely! Managing and moderating a discussion forum is a very challenging position.

2 Likes

ParserComp 2023 - Very Tentative Rules Outline

Three Categories
These are tentative rules – Not written on parchment with a golden quill.

• Classic Parser (Bells and Whistles Allowed)

• Parser (Out of the Box)

• Overall, Winner (A separate judging Category – Can be either type of game)

• Type of game – Classic or Out of the Box should be declared by entering author.
o Game type is mutually exclusive.
• Judges will the final arbiter (within reason).

General Rules

1 Like

I’m sorry this request caught me in a bit of an uncharitable mood. We understand that topics will drift and sometimes need to be split. That’s fine. Sometimes we have to do surgery if a thread gets out of hand, and we will choose to do that.

Sometimes people make requests “Hey, shouldn’t we have a new topic? Hey mods, can you do this for us?” We can, but it isn’t always just two clicks of a mouse, especially if the thread is tangled.

Splitting a topic requires choosing which messages get moved. If it’s an easy “split from this point on” that’s an easy request. What’s more difficult is to review a thread of 70 replies and make judgements which are on topic and which should move.

If you want a new topic, you can start it yourself. To reference the previous topic, click the three dots “ellipsis” icon in any message and choose the link (chain-links) icon to get a URL to that specific post or topic, copy it, and then paste it into the first message of the new topic. Discourse will do the cool one-box trick quoting the first part of the message and contain links back to it.

Another neat trick is you can reply in one thread, compose your message in the bottom half of the screen, and then use your browser buttons to jump back or browse to another topic (your message and compose window will remain) to mine for quotes and paste them in with the quote button. When you hit reply, you’ll get a prompt whether you want to reply in the current message or the one where you initially hit reply.

8 Likes

As I said in the Discord thread I found the number of voting categories quite exhausting to work through as a judge. I would not be in favour of the number increasing, unless things are made very, very optional. I’d like fewer categories. I do appreciate that they can be good for authors but too many categories can be intimidating for judges. I really had to push myself to get all my votes in.

7 Likes

It seemed a good idea. Sorry for the extra work @HanonO ! : (

Anyway your efficiency has been proven beyond any doubt.

You have won the “xyzzy posts teleporter” badge. This one is only given by users to forum moderators by their epic actions and patience.

[people stands up and start to clap the award winning]

3 Likes

I don’t mind the work, what’s frustrating is doing work and then undoing it. And I can’t just type UNDO - hey wrapping back around like a hungry ouroboros… :sunglasses: :guitar: :notes:

3 Likes

Maybe not make a break and diversion quite so easily. Any forum member is free to make a new thread. Interested parties are then free to move or not. ???

vr

The rules and judging will be quite simplified as compared to last year.

2 Likes

It’s wonderful to see so much interest, discussion and passion for ParserComp! Sorry I haven’t been active for the last 4-5 months, various health challenges culminating in my needing a minor heart operation that is pencilled in for 1st September.

If it helps, when I wrote the original rule that went something like “ParserComp defines a parser game as xxxx” and then “think Zork or Photopia” I had the players perspective in mind. As a player, would my primary method of “controlling the game” be text input in the traditional command fashion (“do X with Y”)? Other methods could be available ie keyword clicking, but ultimately my main control method should be to type in a command to do something and then the system goes away and does the thing asked for.

How this is achieved “under the hood” wasn’t my immediate concern, with the extra benefit being that we wouldn’t get too bogged down with “technically what is a parser engine”. This then allowed people to use any system they are comfortable with providing the player experience remained primarily that found in Zork and Photopia.

Thanks

Adam

17 Likes

Nice to hear from you Adam. I appreciate your input.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your heart. September 1st is all but here. All the best. Please keep us posted. I am sure the docs will take good care of you.

Jeff

6 Likes

You’ll always be welcomed back–and we understand if you need time away for far more serious things! (Or less serious.) Hope things go well September 1st. As a participant, I’m glad you got it started up again, and that you’ve passed the reins on to others equally committed to keeping things going.

6 Likes

Hey, Adam. I hope your heart operation goes well (I’m sure it will) because I want to see you back here with a ZIL game for ParserComp 2023.

8 Likes

I second the suggestion for a Zilf game. It would be nice for any of the comps but especially for ParserComp. I hope Adam gives it serious consideration.

4 Likes

Yes, plus it would be neat to see a former administrator enter with something unique and interesting.

I was glad to see Stephen Granade entering IFComp regardless of the quality of Will Not Let Me Go. (It had quality, too, of course, which was a bonus.)

6 Likes

“Ce n’est pas la colle qui fait le collage”
-Max Ernst

1 Like