Photopia "Radio Play" Podcast

The Photopia “radio play” by Keith McNally is criminally under-viewed. If you count yourself as being a fan of Photopia then watch (listen to) this NOW… It’s really good.

Let me know what you think, thanks.

Adam

6 Likes

Interesting idea. Too long for my listening attention span, but I applaud the idea.

1 Like

It is really well made, I’ve listened to it several times now but that’s probably as much of a reflection on my love of Photopia!

1 Like

Photopia was one of the very first IFs I ever played/read. I had no idea of how thi medium worked back then, so I was just stumbling around this narrative space that seemed to go every/anywhere changing colours and settings at whim.

While I am now (as in 5 minutes ago, right before I started typing this) starting up Photopia and comparing interpreters for colour and lettering, I thought I would have a quick look-see on the forum. This link to the podcast came up first, despite it being two years old.

Now I’m torn. Listen to a podcast about a story I loved but didn’t really get 17 years ago, or replay the game first and then listen to a podcast about a story I didn’t really get the first time but I (hopefully) understand a lot better now that I’ve replayed it with a much better grasp of the medium.

There. I just answered my own question. I will be back with my thoughts on both the game and the podcast though.

2 Likes

I’ve actually used Photopia to tell an interactive bedtime tale to my daughters and cousins (of course, the fantasy parts). So this is really neat!

1 Like

Hi all, first time logging in since the (minor) heart operation and really happy to see this post has resurfaced!

I had to laugh at my original enthusiasm ("watch it NOW!) :sweat_smile:

But I definitely stand by my statement that it is very under-watched. I’ve listened to it many times and always enjoy going back to it.

Does it lose anything by being a “radio play” and not interactive? Personally I don’t think so, but I’m basing that on myself someone who has played the game a few times. You may feel differently (even if you have also played it) and of course that’s valid.

Putting my critic head on for a second, the audio is a little uneven towards the middle part as the music accompanying the Gold scene is louder than other parts. Also that same part, for me, goes on a little too long as of course you are getting the full text and it’s quite a wordy scene. I still appreciate the scene, especially I think as when I first discovered the recording my kids were the same age roughly as Ali is in the scene; so it resonated with me. But I do think it could be trimmed a little without losing the “father and daughter” bonding.

Other than the above, I love it, and the above is a very minor item that doesn’t spoil but would improve it a little for me.

Hope you give it go! Please let me know what you think.

Adam :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

5 Likes