Performance issues with objects not in the location

It’s the overlying relation that’s probably the issue - underlying relations only exist between garments on the same person.

The problem is that the overlying relation stores data about potential overlaps between garments. And any time two garments might interact when one of them is not currently being worn, we have to do a route-find between the two to determine if one of them should be on top of the other.

Fast route-finding really is necessary, too - the Recipe example that the extension is based on (“What Not To Wear”, IIRC) fails to use it, and is extremely slow even with just the single garment of each type that’s defined in the example.

Honestly, my Layered Clothing extension is almost certainly overkill for what you’re envisioning - it was designed for Adult IF where it’s necessary to know what naughty bits are available for playing with. For anything else, look at some of the other clothing examples in the Recipe book. (or Counterfeit Monkey as Draconis recommended - I haven’t looked at that.)

Ok, I’ll take a look at Counterfeit Monkey, but I had thought the need to layer clothing because I did want to address wearing clothes underneath armor, and the conditions for wearing warm weather gear. So, if there is a way to achieve the same effect without using the overlying relation, I’m all ears, but I went with the layered clothing you shared, Shadow Wolf, because I don’t want a character to be able to wear more than one fur-lined cloak (or item in the same “slot” overlapping wise), and I want for people to be able to attempt to conceal light armor under normal clothes, and other conditions like that… you say layering clothing is only for AIF? Am I missing an easier way to do things like I just described than using overlying?

The performance isn’t TOO bad, not yet, but I haven’t defined the overlying relations in the layering rule for more than about 6 of the item kinds yet, and have about 1000 objects. I guess the performance will only get worse as things continue to progress.

I might have to work on a way to use “dummies” of people, and swap out all their “stats,” inventory, and other information from loops on tables, and do something similar to garments and armor, changing properties on a limited subset of pre-existing items and shuffling them around. This might slow performance down when entering a new room, but I think it’ll be better than slowing performance down on every single action. I dunno…