Patreon, Kickstarter, International Tax Laws [split]

I know of quite a lot of US retailers in the fountain pen world (e.g. Goulet Pens) and also roleplaying and tabletop games (e.g. Steve Jackson Games) who stopped shipping orders to the UK and/or EU because of the tax burden and bureaucracy. This was after the new tax rules for both the UK and also the EU which expected sellers to process tax stuff under a certain value themselves on behalf of the receiving country. These are companies who take a not insignificant amount of sales. Especially Goulet Pens who sell often very high value items. But it wasn’t worth it for them. More recently Goulet Pens have switched to use a different courier which I think makes it easier for them to manage stuff. So they no longer have restrictions on sending to e.g. the UK, and I think the EU now too. But it isn’t always the smallest businesses. Sure they’re not huge. But they do sell at quite a high level. I also know digital companies in the US who will no longer sell to the UK or EU (even ebooks / digital magazines - no shipping) because of the tax bureaucracy. It’s cutting us off a lot. And absolutely not the fault of the companies we want to buy from.

5 Likes