Past IFComp authors--any tips for this year's new authors?

I never underestimate gli italiani in anything, caro dottore :sunglasses: I fully expect a dressing-down for appropiating some giallo tropes in my game.

4 Likes

not much to expect; as you can infer from here:

Italian giallo are, broadly speaking, the mystery equivalent of spaghetti western, so the same broad set of tropes applies, so you probably “appropriated” is more precisely re-imported :smiley:

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

4 Likes

European culture is a girotondo :grin: And your comparison with spaghetti westerns is perhaps even more on-point than you thought - considering how many (if not most?) of them were actually shot in southern Spain.

Re-importing indeed!

Oh I knew I forgot something :stuck_out_tongue:
Yeah some reviews might be quite critical about the writing, which can be a bit discouraging for ESL writers. Even if they have some good points about the flow and reading and such.

So to all the ESL entrants this year: :clap: good job on creating a game with a language that’s not your mother tongue! That’s impressive!

20 Likes

Manon, isn’t a major issue in this tiny, close-knit community of IF coders and players, there’s plenty of mothertongue ßtesters whose are happy to be also proofreaders :slight_smile:

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Maybe it’s not a major issue for everyone, but it can be for some. We had a whole thread about this topic on this very forum a few months ago…

Not every participant is hanging out in the Forum or knows that people here are willing to proof read or beta test. Not every participant come from the Forum or even knows that there is a Forum to begin with.

I certainly didn’t know about the Forum or that those beta testing/proofreading calls here were a thing before I submitted last year. It would be unfair to assume this to be common knowledge…

7 Likes

As someone who tries to play, rate, and review on IFDB, as many IFComp games as I can every year (with varying degrees of success) I can say that I never look at reviews before picking a game to play. After I finish and rate a game on the comp page, I’ll go to IFDB and write my review. Sometimes if I didn’t like a game as much as I thought I might, I’ll read some reviews before writing my own and sometimes they influence me to raise my rating, to see positive qualities in the game that I missed or were overshadowed by things that frustrated me (did this with my Ballyhoo review even though it isn’t an IFComp game). If I liked a game I usually don’t read reviews and just write my positive review. I’ve never let other reviews influence me to lower my rating.

9 Likes

Based on my last entry, I learned the following:

1. If you want your game to be reviewed by more people, make sure it’s a parser game. Choice games do get reviews, but in general not as many.

2. If your entry is Part One of an ongoing story, let the people know. It is unlikely to reduce viewership by much, and the expectations of the reviewers will be properly tempered.

3. Talk about your game ideas, problems, even your dietary habits. You have a welcoming community here and we all have opinions. Take them or leave them!

4. As mentioned above and elsewhere, you WILL get critical reviews. Treat them as tools to hone your skills. Those who hit it out of the park on the first try are extremely rare. So elusive, in fact, that if you took a photo of them, it would come out blurry.

It will be a fun experience for you. Enjoy it all, the easy and the hard!

10 Likes

The rest of this post is great advice, but I saw this and was wondering if it was actually true these days since my impression is the opposite. At least as far as reviews captured in the 2022 review spreadsheet are concerned (and per my off-the-top-of-my-head categorization which might be slightly off, especially since I excluded a couple hybrid/nonstandard games, which are judgment calls), choice games got an average of 9.6 public reviews and 12.4 total (the difference is due to reviews in the author’s forum), while parser games got on average 8.1 public and 10.2 total.

I think there could be conflating factors here, since shorter games definitely get more reviews and my sense is there are usually more short choice-based games than short parser games. But still, hopefully this isn’t something authors need to worry too much about this year too!

16 Likes

I feel like this might be a cultural difference too. If peeps are coming from a choice space to play and rate games, some of those spaces don’t always welcome reviews or have different norms around them, which means many (not all) of the people writing reviews are going to be parser people, who, out of 100+ games, might spend more time playing parser over choice titles.

Like, I’m not saying you’re wrong over, let’s say the last 10 years, I just don’t know if it reflects as much bias so much as a difference in cultures. I don’t have any brilliant ideas on how to address this or if it even needs to be addressed. Other communities norms can be just as valid, after all.

Maybe, if you’re submitting a choice game into IFComp and you specifically welcome full written reviews, soliciting those reviews in the game’s blurb might help? That way, folks who might assume you wouldn’t welcome a review know that you are specifically asking for frank feedback?

Like I said, I don’t have all the answers.

5 Likes

You can only control what you can control. If you have made something that brings joy to yourself and/or others, you have succeeded.

15 Likes

Perhaps important for new authors to know:

The IFComp guidelines for judges explicitly recommends this:

Use all the numbers

IFComp - Best practices for judges

In many cases, especially for people new to IFComp/coming from communities with different rating habits, this can lead to a bit of a shock of disappointed surprise. An author who has been reading multiple favourable reviews of their work might find out that their game got an average of “only” 5 or 6 in the final comp results. They may think their game was not good at all in the end, and reviews were misleading or not representative of the majority of players.

This is most likely not the case. Keep in mind that when “using all the numbers”, 9 or 10 are almost unattainable, 7 and 8 are very good to great, and so on…

5 or 6 is a very respectable score according to my rubric.

21 Likes

That’s the problem. Everybody should have to play every game (I know it won’t happen but hear me out) so that the averages find a really good proper score. Just saying.

4 Likes

I think that might have been more plausible in early years. I don’t know if anyone plays all the games anymore. Ideally, yeah, if it were possible and a remotely reasonable ask.

4 Likes

Some folks do - Brian, Andrew, and I have all reviewed every game for the past couple years (Brian for way more than just that, of course!) and I think @jjmcc did all last year’s games in his first time as a reviewer (I’m probably forgetting other folks who’ve done this, apologies!) And I have to assume that for everybody who reviews all the games, there are 5-10 who just played and ranked them all.

Edit: and yeah, having done the same from 02-05, it is way harder now.

7 Likes

The record was… 2020? 103 games? I’m assuming you didn’t spend the equivalent of 26 eight hour days reviewing all of those; some must have been shorter than 2 hours. Also, does that impact your reviewing style? Hitting all those titles within 30 days?

3 Likes

If each person plays a simple random sample, and each person has a random bias, it can balance out over time. That’s one reason the ballot doesn’t default to alphabetical order anymore. Of course in real life people won’t play a random sample but it’s nice to try to do so.

8 Likes

Some people use randomizers, right? Like especially when selecting for a Twitch stream or something.

6 Likes

The Comp website has a built-in randomizer, which saves a persistent random order for you - it’s super helpful, I use it every year!

Yeah 104 in 2020 (one was later disqualified, I believe). But much like spring thing, there’s a big range in length; maybe 40% are 2ish hours, maybe a third are half an hour or less, 20%ish are around an hour or a bit more, and the rest are the long ones? I dunno, one could actually look at numbers but that feels like the distribution to me.

2020 was actually an easy year for me, though; they extended judging for two extra weeks due to the glut of games, and it was my last year pre-parenthood (and I was working from home), so I wrote super long reviews (I think my first one that year was a like 2000 word disquisition on Brecht?) and still finished a couple weeks early. It’s all been downhill since then.

13 Likes

The randomizer prevents me from bandwagoning, which, sadly, is something that I need. It’s good.

9 Likes