ParserComp 2023 - final few hours before the deadline!

I entered last year’s ParserComp into the IFWiki. I will take care of it shortly.

Thank you for the reminder.

Jeff

4 Likes

I see your point but one important thing in a healthy community is diversity. If all competitions require archiving there is no where to go for people who don’t want their game archived. To me it seems like ParserComp 2023 has found a good solution which works well after voting ends.

4 Likes

:face_with_monocle: :slightly_smiling_face:
It’s newer, as you say, and rules and precedents are still in the process of being established. And it’s more restrictive, therefore more care has to be taken to design the restrictions as we want them to be (that is ParserComp’s raison d’être, after all).

But FWIW, a similar discussion about archiving was also held in the context of other comps like Spring Thing, Seed Comp, etc. recently, cf. Archiving of Competitions, itch.io, and Third Party Sites.

I’m not sure that I want to take a position on the issue itself (I guess an opt-out policy is fine, with encouragement to stay opted-in and be archived as default), but I’d like to mention a few points:

• the thread linked above does contain a complaint or two (although generally the importance of archiving was emphasized there as well, so I wouldn’t say you’re wrong)
  • the principle has not been super-strictly enforced in those comps either in the past; besides examples given in that thread, there was also “Accelerate”, and other games where the archived entries consist of an HTML file linking to an external site
  • there might be a form of sampling bias going on – the people intent on not being archived just don’t enter the comps (and they don’t feel it’s necessary or useful to kick up a fuss over it after the fact)
  • related to the last point, the non-negligible number of people who enter the comps under a pseudonym might indicate an attitude along the lines of “I don’t mind being archived, no harm done as long as it’s pseudonymous” (but that’s speculation, of course; I dunno).
7 Likes

I’ve gone ahead and added a basic page about the competition to the wiki at ParserComp 2023 - IFWiki. It could do with more detail though.

6 Likes

Thanks very much! We’ll fill in the details, when we get a chance.

5 Likes

Sorry. My wife and I had to visit her 95 year old father in Florida on short notice. He is increasingly frail and has to be constantly monitored around the clock. :frowning:

14 Likes

I’ve now added a few more details and will try to remember to update the wiki page as the competition progresses.

Great job on tidying up the wiki by the way - first time in ages I’ve visited it and it’s looking very smart!

7 Likes

Thanks. There are quite a few of us working on it these days.

4 Likes

It seems scarcely credible but please, suspend your disbelief when we tell you that ParserComp 2023 submissions are now open!

It’s been a frantic few weeks here at ParserComp HQ, preparing for this year’s competition. We’ve dusted the lampshades, polished the silverware, reanimated the cat, and whisked the tarpaulin off Sandra on the front desk; @fos1 has fitted new valves to the supercomputer and @ChristopherMerriner has made several rounds of toast, all in readiness for the crop of exceptional, exquisite and altogether extraordinary parser games that we’re quite confident are headed our way.

The good news here is that if your long-finished, extensively-tested and highly-polished parser game is weighing heavy on your conscience you can get it off your chest by submitting it to the competition right now. Alternatively, feel free spend the remaining 60ish days putting those finishing touches to your magnum opuses (or, you know, frantically writing them from scratch because you’ve just remembered that this is happening) and then submit them just seconds before the deadline of 11:59pm on 30 June 2023.

We simply can’t wait to see what comes our way!

fos1 & Christopher

18 Likes

Woohoo! Looking forward to playing all the games! Thanks for setting this up!

9 Likes

Yay for ParserComp!

6 Likes

Okay, I’ve officially broken ground on my game starting with X I’ve referenced in other topics! I put it on the back shelf for a few months, figuring if it was terrible, I wouldn’t be looking forward to working on it.

I am looking forward to working on it. That doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t be terrible, of course. But one can, should and must dream.

6 Likes

Good deal. I am looking forward to playing “X”.

2 Likes

In Xanadu did Andrew Schultz
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

13 Likes

Ah yes Garry … I may not be able to write like Coleridge, but if a big chunk of my game is missing*, darned if I won’t blame my very own Man from Porlock!

Heck, I can blame him anyway, for that brilliant passage that should’ve been in the game but wasn’t.

* (It won’t be. Or if it is, then yeah, I save it for IFComp.)

6 Likes

I have received the Award Trophies and one of the brass plates. (I only ordered one plate first to make sure it was suitable.) I think it will look great when the plate is affixed.

18 Likes

Hey, I tried submitting a game and got this:
I do NOT give permission for my game to be archived in IF Archive and made available via the Interactive Fiction Database for future generations of IF players to enjoy.

This had to be clicked before I submitted. Is this correct? Sorry for the question.

3 Likes

Hi, no that’s not right - there should be an optional tick there, not a mandatory! Will have to have a look at the settings and see what I’ve done wrong.

Honestly, @fos1 gave me one job and I screwed it up. Should have got Sandra to do it instead.

2 Likes

Now fixed! You should be able to submit without having to tick the opt out now; let me know if it doesn’t work. Thanks for spotting that…

1 Like

I just verified by submitting a game a couple of times with different parameters.

ParserComp - Smooooth… :wink:

4 Likes