ParserComp 2021 - The Rules for Participants (Draft; may change!)

I wholeheartedly agree. Sophisticated in-game hints are preferable (even worth extra points), but a minimal walkthrough would alleviate frustration and make sure judges can see at least most of the game.

3 Likes

We certainly donā€™t want that, do we? In your case, the source and the executable are the same. Would you want to make it available in a public source code repository prior to the competition? That seems to be the crux of the discussion. If not, then itā€™s not a problem.

2 Likes

Firstly, I like ā€œparseryā€, I may use that in the final rules draft :smiley:

So, I think the short answer is that whilst what defines a Parser game and how far we can stretch the definition is a worthwhile conversation to have, the definition for ParserComp itself needs to be fairly straight and narrow. Again, think Zork, pictures and sounds are allowed, clicking on keywords is allowed providing it isnā€™t the main mechanism for traversing the game, and SPEAK is fine (for a menu of things to say) but is ideally sitting alongside the more typical ASK and TELL.

Perhaps rather than Zork I should say ā€œthink Photopiaā€¦ā€ :slightly_smiling_face:

Adam

4 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but has there been any discussion/decision about game length? Iā€™m inclined to say no limits, but then I remember playing World a while back. If something of that size were in ParserComp, Iā€™d use up half the judging time on it. (with walkthrough)

Or might the best suggestion be not to the authors, but to the judges: ā€œUse your time wiselyā€?

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy to accept any length providing its a complete game. :slightly_smiling_face:

Adam

2 Likes

Amazing work, Adam.

2 Likes

Thank you, thatā€™s appreciated. :+1:

Hopefully will still be the case when then dust settles at the end :smiley::pray:

Adam

2 Likes

The bit I was responding to was ā€œor maybe until judging closesā€.

I donā€™t want to make my source code public before the comp, but if someoneā€™s using a public github repo because thatā€™s what you can get for free, and not publicising it, I donā€™t see a reason to hold it against them. If it turns out to be a problem this year, the rules can always be changed next year.

2 Likes

Private GitHub repos are free. (Unless you need the Teams features, which an individual writing an IF game probably doesnā€™t?) However, I agree that releasing the source code concurrently with the game, even to beta testers, is no problem at all. Itā€™s up to the author whether itā€™s acceptable for players to ā€œcheat.ā€

5 Likes

I am all for source code along with a gameā€™s release. (That is one of the meanings of my user name in most places: Free Open Source / Far Out Science) :wink:

However, I am not so sure source code should be available during a competition.

1 Like

Sorry, i donā€™t understand this source code thing. Are we talking rule change to mandate the availability of source code?

As i understood it from the draft rules there are no source code requirements, only the ability to get a copy of the game.

If authors wish to give source code, itā€™s up to them. And when they want to give source code itā€™s up to them. And if they donā€™t want to give source code, but instead walkthroughs or hints or even nothing at all, thatā€™s also up to them.

of course, if that means impeding judges, then thatā€™s the way it is, and may well reflect the score.

Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

6 Likes

The gist Iā€™m getting is that very early on in the conversation, someone said theyā€™d love to have a competition where they can finally program their code in a public github repository, since IFComp doesnā€™t allow it.

So allowing github development was put in as something allowed.

Then others complained that this would be a form of advertising.

Later on, someone said it shouldnā€™t even be allowed during the comp, since seeing source code is cheating.

Now I think people are pushing back on that a bit and saying that releasing your source code is okay. This still hasnā€™t gotten back to the original point of whether or not a public repository for development is okay. Itā€™s almost certainly going to have to come down to a decision by @Adam_S, and Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a solution that will satisfy everyone.

5 Likes

I think I can help bring the discussion to a close at least in terms of ParserComp specifically, the discussion has been great and Iā€™ve appreciated the time people have taken but I can also see a few topics going back and forth. Soā€¦

When I write the final draft of the rules it will include the followingā€¦

1. Walkthroughs, guides, hints and any other support documentation is not mandatory and submissions of game only are accepted. However please be aware that these documents are extremely useful to players/judges/voters, many people have expressed the view that if these additional support documents are not provided then they are less willing to play and judge/vote on games. This is entirely their prerogative. As such we very much recommend that you consider making these support documents available as part of your submission.

2. You are not required to submit source code along with your game, but may do so if you wish.

Iā€™m aiming to release the updated rules by the end of this week.

Thanks!

Adam :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I really appreciate the way you are handling this, Adam: Listening and decisive. Iā€™m sure it will be an excellent ParserComp!

9 Likes

Thank you Stian, that means a lot, very much appreciated. :+1:

Adam

3 Likes

While thereā€™s no rush, itā€™s good to have the rules finalized as soon as possible. I suppose the details can be hashed out later.

I just want to make sure Iā€™m 1. not doing anything out of line and 2. not missing anything I couldā€™ve done. I suspect other peopleā€™s motivations for asking questions were similar. This whole topic has been an interesting read, the sort that encourages and motivates me to visit this site more often. So thanks, everybody.

4 Likes

On that front donā€™t panic :slightly_smiling_face: Essentially the rules listed here hold water but just need rewriting to make clearer, then we have additional rules to add in such as the walk-through and source code ones.

In the background Iā€™ve also actually created an email address specific for the competition, created an itch.io account, created the competition page (although at this stage it needs populating with the rules etc) and also created an accompanying YouTube channel so I can do some video content along with the written content here and elsewhere.

Should be a fun week! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Adam

8 Likes

Updated (Final Draft) rules are now available in this new post:

3 Likes

With regards to source material and repositories, it looks like you have decided it must not be publicly available before hand. Is that right?

I have a game under development, but it is already on GitHub, and anyone can look at the source code right now. Is the game therefore disqualified (assuming I do not move it, and is not that close to completion)?

Why is a github repository necessary for the development of a parser game? I have never been clear on this issue.

I do all of my development work on my personal computer and store backups on fobs. Git will run on personal computers as well.

Just curious.

2 Likes