Parser Text Adventures on Steam and GOG

I have added PataNoir.

3 Likes

No idea where Pixel Games is aiming at, but I’ve added Pimania.

2 Likes

Just quoting this so it gets another play. Jesus.

All they have to say is “We won’t make enough money off it,” not make the submitter wonder if they accidentally tried to contact Good New Games.

“Cripple it’s [sic] interest on day 1” - I didn’t realize all gog games come with a free time machine.

1 Like

GOG and Steam recently started selling Guardians of Infinity: To Save Kennedy. That one might count, though I had never even heard of it before (and I had heard of Pimania!) so I definitely need to read the manual carefully if I want to give it an earnest try.

kennedy

4 Likes

Guardians of Infinity doesn’t have an IFDB entry (yet). I peeked into a LP on YouTube, and while most of the game seems to be dialogue through entering keywords, you do issue commands to the NPCs just like you’d do it in a text adventure, so I added it to the list. I’ll remove it if it’s not considered a parser text adventure by others.

3 Likes

It doesn’t appear to be on Steam or GOG - at least not yet? - but Zoom Platform is selling some 1985 “Windham Classics” Treasure Island game: Zoom Platform - Treasure Island

I think I may have heard the game mentioned somewhere - possibly at The Digital Antiquarian - and it does have an IFDB entry. But I don’t really know anything about it.

3 Likes

I have added The Pilgrimage to the Steam section. Looks twiney to me, but it has you enter commands such as “look clothes”, “go bar” or “talk about last night”.

3 Likes

There’s a fairly new game out on Steam called “[I] doesn’t exist - a modern text adventure”. I’ve only tried the demo - it didn’t grab my interest enough for me to pick up the full game, at least not yet - but that part of it is definitely a parser game.

Apparently they’re using “conversational AI” to parse player input (but not, thankfully, to generate the responses), but other than the system requirements I can’t say I noticed much difference between that an a traditional parser. Which I guess in one way proves that it works, though I’m getting flashbacks to Infocom’s “new parser”. Long after playing those games I remember reading about how it was supposed to be better than their old one, but all I noticed at the time was that it was sometimes a lot slower.)

3 Likes

I backed the KS. The demo’s parser was quite problematic. Mainly because it didn’t accept any of the usual expected abbreviations. Like “I” didn’t work (maybe because, I doesn’t exist!) Also the game suffered from a lack of referential closure. But the graphics were cool. Gameplay was completely linear.

But im hoping the release version is much improved.

1 Like

@BenyDanette has reviewed it on the French IF website:

4 Likes

I added [I] doesn’t exist.

1 Like

I have added AI Dungeon. At some stage it requires a registration, no idea what’s behind that. Up to there it’s free, and technically it’s a text adventure.

2 Likes