overriding decoration response by inheritance not working

First, thanks for helping a newbie on my first post yesterday, re: number of source files. With your help plus a deep dive into Connectors.t in the sample-games ZIP bundle associated with the Learning TADS 3 manual, I got it working and am able to move from room to room.

Now I have another problem.

I have a decoration object I want to be able to touch without getting the standard “not important” message.

On page 74 of the Learning TADS 3 manual, there is a discussion of how to do exactly that, plus example code…

hangingRug: Decoration ‘hanging faded tatty rug*rugs’ ‘hanging rug’
"It looks quite faded, and more than a little tatty. "
feelDesc = "It feels quite rough. "
verifyDobjTouch() { inherited Thing; }
;

When I try this in my own code, it does not work. I have implemented alternate touch text as illustrated above, for my table decoration but no matter what I do, I still get “the table isn’t important.”

I’ve followed the cross references starting in the Learning TADS3 book—I’ve read the passages about verifying in the System Manual, the Technical Manual, the TADS 3 Tour Guide, and the Getting Started Guide, and I’m still stuck.

Here’s my most basic source file, which still does not do what I want it to do…

#charset “us-ascii”
#include <adv3.h>
#include <en_us.h>

versionInfo: GameID
IFID = ‘47ca87f1-2d0e-4b54-a776-2bc128e30927’
name = ‘TADS 3 Test Bed’
byline = ‘by Jerry Ford’
htmlByline = ‘by
Jerry Ford

version = ‘1’
authorEmail = ‘Jerry Ford jerry.0.ford@gmail.com
desc = ‘Test bed for experimenting with TADS 3 syntax.’
htmlDesc = ‘Test bed for experimenting with TADS 3 syntax.’
;

gameMain: GameMainDef
initialPlayerChar = me
;

• me: Actor desc=“The narrator”
    location = startRoom
    ;

startRoom: Room ‘Start Room’
"This is the starting room. There is a table here. "
;

• table
    ;

table: Decoration ‘table’ ‘table’
"This is a table. "
feelDesc = "It is solid to the touch. "
verifyDobjTouch() { inherited Thing; }
;

My bad. The action is called Feel, not Touch, so instead of verifyDobjTouch you need verifyDobjFeel, i.e.:

verifyDobjFeel() { inherited Thing; }

I’ll try to remember to correct that for the next edition of Learning TADSs.

This being an electronic book, doesn’t it mean that you can simply do corrections at any moment and simply re-upload?

I can do the corrections at any moment, but I can’t “simply re-upload” (a) because that won’t magically change the text that’s been distributed with TADS 3 (which is what most people will probably be looking at) and (b) because the on-line version is on tads.org, which I don’t have upload access to. All I can do is make the correction and send the corrected version to Mike Roberts for inclusion in the next release of TADS 3, and rather than bombard him with a continual stream of corrected documents, it seems better to wait until I’ve a number of corrections to make and then send them all to him in one batch.