Opening multiple Twine passages in multiple windows from one link

Hi! I’d like to create a link that opens multiple passages (each in its own window) at once. Is this possible in twine? Thank you!

Twine Version: 2.4.1
Story Format: Sugarcube 2.36.1

1 Like

In 25 years of navigating internet I’ve never seen a unique link opening multiple windows by itself. The best I can think of is to send the reader to a new passage and open a Dialog at the same time, however it’s not two independent windows.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable will step in and correct me?

A couple of clarification questions:

1. When you say “in its own window” do you mean:
    a. open each “passage” within its own Window/Instance of your favourite web-browser.
    b. open each “passage” within its own tab within the current web-browser Window / Instance.
    c. open each “passage” within its own “dialog”, all associated with the current web-page.
    d. open each “passage” within its own distinct area of the “current” Passage being shown.
    e. open each “passage” within its own pre-defined area of the web-page…
    f. something else entirely.

2. If you meant either A or B then, why do you need each of those “passages” opened that way?
    eg. what are you trying to achieve by opening “passages” that way.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response! I’m aiming to a/b. open each “passage” within its own window in the current web-browser instance. It’s for an art project that is a variation of choose-your-own-adventure. Instead of choosing a direction, the user is presented with a number of simultaneous paths to go down

A Twine Story HTML file is a single-page web-application.

None of the current Story Formats have built-in support for communicating between web-browser Windows/Tabs. So if you programmatically opened multiple Windows/Tabs, each with their own instance of your project open within it, there would be no built-in way for them to communicate with each other. Thus it would be the equivalent of the end-user just opening multiple copies of your project.

But to answer your question…

The HTML <a> Anchor element has the ability to open its target HTML file within another tab, by setting its target attribute to _blank.

Please select one of the following links...
<a href="adventure.html" target="_blank">Library</a>
<a href="adventure.html" target="_blank">Study</a>

And if you use the a fragment URL in the anchor’s href attribute like so…

Please select one of the following links...
<a href="adventure.html#library" target="_blank">Library</a>
<a href="adventure.html#study" target="_blank">Study</a>

…then it is possible to use JavaScript at project start-up to process the tab’s window.location property to extract the fragment value from the URL, and change which is the 1st Passage to be shown within that tab.

Unfortunately I don’t have an example of the required JavaScript handy, but someone else might.

1 Like