Opening Closed Eyes **HELP**

Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am trying to start of the game with the players eyes closed.

This is what I want:
Only until after the player “opens eyes” can they see the landscape and proceed with any actions.

It starts with…
The Beach is a room. “Birds chirp. You smell what you believe to be the tropical scent of coconuts and sea salt. Waves crash behind you.”

I don’t want any actions to be possible until the player says “open eyes”

If they try to do anything i want it to say…

“Everything is dark. You can’t see anything”
(as a clue that they must open their eyes)

Thanks!

Something like this would give the effect you want:

your eyes are part of the player. your eyes are openable. your eyes are closed.

Instead of looking when your eyes are closed: say "Everything is dark. You can't see anything."

After opening your eyes: try looking.

But in practice you would want a lot of commands to synonym to ‘open eyes’: ‘wake’, ‘wake up’, and so on. Honestly, it’s pushing it a bit that trying ‘look’ a second or third time wouldn’t help.

That doesn’t compile. Change “your eyes are openable” to “your eyes can be open or closed” and it will compile, but you’ll also need to add:

[code]Instead of opening your eyes:
now your eyes are open;
try looking.

Instead of closing your eyes:
now your eyes are closed;
try looking.[/code]

A deeper problem (and my Inform is too rusty to solve it) is that even when your eyes are closed, you’ll still be able to do anything except look, including examine things and travel.

Another approach would be to make the beach a dark room, and give your eyes the lit property when they’re open. But poking around in the documentation, I didn’t find a way to change the description of a dark room. 17.19 shows how to change its name, but not its printed description.

In sum, surferdude, your first attempt at a puzzle is more complicated to implement than you probably expected. My suggestion would be, don’t worry about it. Write some of your game, and come back to this puzzle after you learn more about the guts of Inform 7.

I believe you’re looking for 17.20. :slight_smile:

Try this: Visibility rule when your eyes are closed: there is insufficient light.

Actually, you could just fix it like this to give the intended solution.

Your eyes can be openable. Your eyes are openable. Your eyes can be open. Your eyes are open.

The best way to do this would be like this.

[code]“Test”

Rule for printing the description of a dark room (this is the new dark room description rule): say “Everything is dark. You can’t see anything!”.

Before doing anything other than looking or opening or closing when your eyes are closed (this is the can’t do anything when your eyes are closed rule): say “Everything is dark. You can’t see anything!” instead.

Before opening or closing when your eyes are closed and the noun is not your eyes (this is the can only open and close your eyes when your eyes are closed rule): say “Everything is dark. You can’t see anything!” instead.

Carry out looking when your eyes are closed (this is the set visibility when your eyes are closed rule):
now the visibility level count is zero;
now the visibility ceiling is nothing.

The Testing Room is A Room. The table is in the testing room.

Your eyes are part of the player. Your eyes are plural-named. Your eyes can be openable. Your eyes are openable. Your eyes can be open. Your eyes are closed.

Test me with “l / x table / open eyes / open eyes / l / x table / close eyes / close eyes / l / x table / open eyes / open eyes / l / x table”.[/code]

However, this would stop actions such as listening and smelling, which don’t require one’s eyes to be open. To allow for this you might want to try something like this.

[code]“Test”

Rule for printing the description of a dark room (this is the new dark room description rule): say “Everything is dark. You can’t see anything!”.

A visibility rule when your eyes are closed: there is insufficient light.

Rule for printing a refusal to act in the dark: say “Everything is dark. You can’t see anything!”.

Carry out looking when your eyes are closed (this is the set visibility when your eyes are closed rule):
now the visibility level count is zero;
now the visibility ceiling is nothing.

The Testing Room is A Room. The table is in the testing room.

Your eyes are part of the player. Your eyes are plural-named. Your eyes can be openable. Your eyes are openable. Your eyes can be open. Your eyes are closed.

Test me with “listen / smell / look / x table / open eyes / open eyes / listen / smell / look / x table / close eyes / close eyes / listen / smell / look / x table / open eyes / open eyes / listen / smell / look / x table”.[/code]

Hope this helps.