Only saying something while sitting...

Ok, so the initial state of my game is that you are on a bench. I would like the avatar (a NPC-like entity, always in the the person) to start saying things to the player while they are sitting there. Just to give a small example of what I am thinking:

After going to the White Lab:
	say "[first time]You are looking around, completely unsure how you got into here. You hear the two people in front of you speaking to themselves.[only]";
	if the player is on bench:
		say "[bold type]Avatar[roman type]: [one of]I am your avatar. I am a subprocessor installed into your cerebral cortex. My intelligence and personality are derived from my host.[or]Right now I am blocking their signals into your cerebral cortex, so we can have some quite time without being interferred with.[or]The doctor is trying to turn you into a war machine, devoid of any intelligence or morality. You need to get off this bench.[or]What are you waiting for? Get off the bench![stopping]".

The only thing is that it isn’t firing off at all. I appreciate any and all help with this. Thanks!!

‘After going to’ refers to an action. It won’t fire at the beginning of play, because the player isn’t presently going anywhere - the player hasn’t taken any actions at all.

You’re still stuck on the thing I told you about last time around: you’re wanting to start a code block with a condition and have it fire off when that condition obtains. But that is not how Inform works: you have to tell the game when to evaluate that condition. In this case, you want to keep happening every turn until the player gets off the bench, so it’s an every turn rule.

Every turn:
	if the player is on bench:
		say "[bold type]Avatar[roman type]: [one of]I am your avatar. I am a subprocessor installed into your cerebral cortex. My intelligence and personality are derived from my host.[or]Right now I am blocking their signals into your cerebral cortex, so we can have some quite time without being interferred with.[or]The doctor is trying to turn you into a war machine, devoid of any intelligence or morality. You need to get off this bench.[or]What are you waiting for? Get off the bench![stopping]".

That won’t fire when the game begins, though, because a turn hasn’t taken place yet. So you want something more like this:

When play begins: say "You are looking around, completely unsure how you got into here. You hear the two people in front of you speaking to themselves.";
But that will trigger above the banner text; if you want it below all the other text instead, do this:

After looking for the first time: say "You are looking around, completely unsure how you got into here. You hear the two people in front of you speaking to themselves.";

Maga,

Thank you again! I come from a programming background, so this has been very difficult to wrap my head around, so thank you for your patience…

Oh, and I forgot to mention that your suggestion worked! Thanks!!