Online IF game hosting at Borogove.io

This is wonderful. Good job. I remember when the IFTF was advertising for someone to create this and I was SORELY tempted to do it, but just had too much on my plate at the time. I’m glad they found someone competent who cares about IF and also that it ended up being a host for more than Twine.

Have you, or do you plan to, do a post-mortem for the project?

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t think a post mortem would be very exciting, it’s mostly a bog standard web app and any description would be just technical details. It would probably be of very limited interest to most people.

2 Likes

I cannot fully agree! I’d love, personally to know more. Why you bid on the job, what relationship you have to the org, why you decided to expand it well past twine games, what types of games didn’t make the cut and why… etc. I bet a lot of people would be interested. Also, I’m very glad I have a new thing to recommend when people on the IF/Twine subreddits come asking what the best hosting solutions are.

1 Like

I agree with Daniel. I know far too little about the community and facilities supporting IF authoring and would be delighted to learn more of the technical details.

2 Likes

Just a short clarifying answer for now: this wasn’t directly related to IFTF’s request for proposals to replace the Philome.la service last year. I was already planning this at the same time as the RFP came out and I suggested to IFTF that if resurrecting the Philome.la site didn’t work out, we could collaborate on this one. Which is what ultimately happened. So I wasn’t paid to build the service and it’s not owned by IFTF at least for now. Current collaboration consists of IFTF’s Twine committee acting in an advisory role and contingency planning if the service happens to become popular.

4 Likes

That’s awesome. Thanks for taking the time to reply. That’s really cool and I’m glad you were able to partner and do this alongside IFTF and even expand what they were hoping for! I will be glad to have this service to recommend when people frequently ask for Twine and Inform hosting solutions on Reddit.

Is there any progress on this feature? (Seeing how many times an upload has been accessed) I’d really like to know if anybody has actually interacted with whatever I’ve uploaded, for example.

1 Like

It’s still on the roadmap but unfortunately it’s not to be expected in the near future.

1 Like

Thanks. Understood.

@Juhana

You might consider adding borogove.io to the topic “IF Resources” at IF Resource Links
That’s a “wiki” post recently mentioned in the recent topic about wiki posts at How to make a post into a Wiki