Oh, FUUUUUUDDDDDGGGGEEE

Well, I got the date of the IF Comp wrong twice.

First, I was sure it ended at the end of October. I realised I was wrong in early September, and wrote an obscene amount in order to get it in on time.

I was so sure it was 30 September. I even thought I might get some extra hours of testing in, due to being in Australia. But… I think you know how this story ends.

So I won’t be entering this year, which of course means I can judge. But I can’t get into the secret author-only forum, which is the best part of this whole wild roller-coaster of a contest.

Dagnammit and zooterkins!

Ah well. I can sell the story as a Hosted Game, so it’s going to do just fine. It’s kind of fun to emerge blinking back into the land of the living to find I have a rather good finished game on my hands. So that’s nice.

And now that I’ve utterly failed to enter the 2019 comp, I can reveal my amazingly subtle and cunning disguise… for I am not the dewy-eyed newbie Louise Curtis, but the steely-eyed pirate queen FELICITY BANKS!

Mwa hahahahahahaha!

(I was a bit uncomfortable submitting in ChoiceScript as I know CS fans get a bit rabidly enthusiastic sometimes, so I was trying real hard to be stealthy. It’s… not my forte, to be honest.)

1 Like

That’s unfortunate! But good that the game will see the light of day anyway. (I have entered a ChoiceScript game myself, though that is of no comfort to you now.)

1 Like

Nuuuuuuuu! I’m always terrified of that happening!

1 Like

I think I planned to enter Alias ‘The Magpie’ every year since 2011. The sound of deadlines whooshing by, and all that. Could it not go into Spring Thing, Felicity?

4 Likes

It could, but honestly the main reason I want to enter IF Comp is the secret author-only clubhouse. Which is probably why I don’t feel too bad about accidentally missing the deadline. And I’m too impatient to wait for 2020.

3 Likes

I was terrified of the same thing.

This is my first year entering. And I was terrified of missing the deadline. With all the time zones involved… :slight_smile:

So I actually uploaded a version on the 27th already, only to update it the next day with a final batch of bugfixes. But I think I would have been just too nervous without doing it this way.

5 Likes

don’t worry. Your game now has a super-interesting story associated with it. I wanna play it when it comes out.

3 Likes

I will definitely welcome any and all pity buys I get :slight_smile:

I’m gonna use the sudden lack of deadline to write another couple of chapters.

(I have a new game out right now, actually; a cozy mystery with some magic thrown in, called DEATH AT THE RECTORY. A writing retreat goes horribly wrong when one of the writers is murdered and all the rest become suspects. The murderer changes from play-through to play-through. It just received my new favourite review: “This game is nothing but more Libtard propaganda from Hosted Games. Buy it if you have less than four brain cells but expect to lose those too.”)

4 Likes