NPC coded to follow PC not following

I’ve got another little problem with this interactive fic I’m writing. What I want is to create a villain character that follows the player until they are killed. I’ve been setting this up with a modification of the “Van Helsing” recipe, setting it in a scene that lets the player explore the small starting area before triggering the coming of the enemy. Here are the directly relevant pieces of coding:

[code]The Waiting Room is a room.

In the Waiting Room is a man called The Jackal. “A man in a black coat stands nearby. He notices you immediately, and raises his gun to fire…”

Pursuit is a scene. Pursuit begins when the Sanctum Passage is open.

When Pursuit begins:
move The Jackal to Bridge.

Every turn during Pursuit:
if the location of The Jackal is not the location:
let the way be the best route from the location of The Jackal to the player, using doors;
if the way is not nothing, try silently The Jackal going the way.

[/code]

Suffice to say that, in brief, the Sanctum Passage is a hidden door, and the Bridge is about 5 rooms removed from the Sanctum. The problem is that what this does is that The Jackal moves to the Bridge…and then sits there until the player goes to the bridge. I want him to move from the bridge to follow the player to the Sanctum and through the open Sanctum Passage, which leads to a small maze. Why isn’t he moving?

One time earlier when we were kicking around a route-finding problem I apparently found that route-finding from rooms to things doesn’t work – it has to be from room to room. So you might want to change “let the way be the best route from the location of The Jackal to the player, using doors;” to “let the way be the best route from the location of The Jackal to the location of the player, using doors;” and see if that fixes it.

Welp, now he’s moving. Thanks! Now I need to figure out how to give the player sufficient time to escape him…but thank you very much!