Notice of possible case of drowning by IF [Working through "to play" list]

When one is leaving for a long hike or climb into dangerous territory, one is strongly advised to alert others in case one gets lost or injured.

After a year of mostly comping/hiking, I’ve decided to climb the mountains again. I will probably make time for FrenchComp and SpringThing, but I really want to devote a lot of IF-time to my folder of “Big, Long Games”.

I’m staring at the dais in the Foyer in The Mulldoon Legacy. I realised I’d better let some of you know. If I’m engulfed and absorbed and consumed by this monster, all my earthly possessions and a blessing of Annoia go to the one who can get those dang scissors out of the left hand drawer first.

22 Likes

Is this the huge game that I rage quit when I realized that it doesn’t list all exits and you just have to try every compass point in every room?

4 Likes

Might it be this one instead? Of course you’re welcome to rate your rage-quittings from most ragiest to least ragiest…

4 Likes

The only part I remember is the south exit behind the statues. Oh, and touching the walls is pretty annoying. (PUSHing it is still touching it!)

3 Likes

No, I’m thinking of a different one. Does ML begin outside a museum with a key in a big vase? Because that’s the one I’m thinking of. I did mean to go back to that one, so the rage couldn’t have been too terrible, but then I never did. Maybe you should do a Let’s Play of it and then I don’t ever have to.

5 Likes

That one, yes, I thought the intro was quite unintelligent (or at least not well-designed). Can’t say much more though - only got up to having coffee with the guy.

2 Likes

It’s the easiest way to enjoy a game without the stress of figuring out all the puzzles yourself!

4 Likes

I did finally finish this back in 2015 after several months. The puzzle with the mechanical monkey and the games room door remains one of my favourites and certainly one of the most difficult in the entire text adventure canon.

Its cap doffing to Curses is well reported and although the back story is less substantial the user friendliness is more evident; soft locks are absent and hard locks have to be strenuously contrived by the player.

I started replaying it by coincidence recently while juggling Windmere Estate and I am having real trouble remembering things. The broom’s raison d’etre was a real re-Eureka moment.

4 Likes

There are two unmentioned exits near the beginning but the descriptions do suggest the gloominess of your immediate environs so there is a clue there.

3 Likes

That coffee cup and sugar could come in useful. And Old Giles doesn’t seem to mind you taking other things…

3 Likes