"Nothing Obvious Happens"

Hi there, I’m new to IF development. I’m currently experimenting with inform 7, and when i use a lever that’s in my game, i get the text that’s supposed to happen, and then the message “Nothing obvious happens”

My code is the following:

[code]Section 1 “Starboard Airlock”

The Outer Bulkhead is a door. It is north of the Starboard Airlock. It is lockable and locked.
The Starboard Airlock is a room. It is north of the Airlock bulkhead.
The Airlock bulkhead is a door. It is north of the Airlock Access. It is south of the Starboard Airlock. It is lockable and unlocked.
The Airlock Access is a room. It is west of the Starboard Corridor. It is east of the Starboard ladder.

The Inner lever is part of the Airlock bulkhead.

The Outer lever is part of the outer bulkhead.

carry out pulling Inner lever:
if the Outer Bulkhead is closed:
now the Outer Bulkhead is locked;
now the Airlock bulkhead is unlocked;
say “A green light flashes as a pleasant tone sounds, indicating that the inner bulkhead is unlocked.”;
rule succeeds;
otherwise:
say “A red light flashes, indicating that the Outer Bulkhead is still open.”;

carry out pulling Outer lever:
if the Airlock bulkhead is closed:
say “Awww Yeah”;[/code]

When i run that, and try to pull both levers, i get the following.

[code]Starboard Airlock
You can see an Airlock bulkhead and an Outer Bulkhead here.

close airlock bulkhead
You close the Airlock bulkhead.

pull inner lever
A green light flashes as a pleasant tone sounds, indicating that the inner bulkhead is unlocked.

Nothing obvious happens.

pull outer lever
Awww Yeah
Nothing obvious happens.

[/code]

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the Nothing Obvious Happens messages in this case? Thanks

What’s happening: normally, carry out pulling does nothing. The “Nothing obvious happens” message is printed by report pulling, which you haven’t tampered with, so it happens as normal after carry out.

For something as straightforward as this, you’d usually want to use Instead of pulling… rather than fiddling around with check/carry out/report: this happens instead of the normal sequence. If you want to do something more complicated, the usual rule is to put all the things that print text in report, and all the things that change the world in carry out. You can sometimes get away with putting everything in carry out and blocking report, but it might cause bugs if you do certain fancy things later on.

why thank you Maga, that works perfectly for what i wanted