Newbie Help

Ok I am new to IF and recognise the potential of the platform. While Im not 100% sure it will suit the needs of the game Im creating (gotta look into the combat options yet) I do know the world building is great. I tried TADS but got stuck on a bit and recreated with Inform what I already had done. I much prefer the approach.

Anyway after figuring out how to make an object work how I wanted Im now having difficulty with some images with it.

Basically its an object that a player can enter… I can get the text description working fine using an if argument, however images seems to display 2 or gives a verb error if I change the “display figure of simulation pod;” to have a . or , at the end. What I currently have is:

after examining the simulation pod: [if the player is in Simulator Training Room]display figure of simulation pod;[otherwise if the player is in Simulator Cockpit]display figure of Simpod; continue the action. this shows both images on examine
The description of the simulation pod is “[if the player is in Simulator Training Room]The large, smooth black spheres have little features other than a small control panel for the instructors to operate.[otherwise if the player is in Simulator Cockpit]The cockpit is a snug fit, but this is what to expect, the controls are modeled after the Wildcat Interceptor.”

This is mainly an attempt to stop the external view being shown if the players examines it from the inside the “Simpod” figure is working fine with the look version, just if a player does “x pod” while inside Id rather show the cockpit (simpod figure) rather than the external shell (simulator pod figure)

Square brackets in your source code mark comments! Those “if” statements have no effect on your code.

(You’re thinking of strings. Square brackets in strings mark bits of code. The IDE uses different styles for comments.)

You would want something like

after examining the simulation pod:
  if the player is in Simulator Training Room:
    display figure of simulation pod;
  otherwise if the player is in Simulator Cockpit:
    display figure of Simpod; 
    continue the action.

Thankyou, that appears to have done the trick and looks a LOT neater. Might have to go rewrite some of the other parts to make it easier for me to read.

Had to give proper tab spacing (copy/paste gave spacebar rather than tab spacing)

No, I take the blame there – I typed it in with spaces. Sorry about that.