New Patreon: Beginner-Friendly Twine CSS tutorials from Devotionalia's author

Just saw this on Twitter, thought it would be good to mention it here:

6 Likes

I literally came here just now to link thisā€¦behind like usual! Glad you did it sooner.

Grim is the creator of the gorgeous game Devotionalia from IFComp 2018. I almost didnā€™t believe it was Twine.

3 Likes

Hi there! Just wanted to thank you both for boosting this here; I really appreciate it!

The first tutorial in my ā€œTwine Grimoireā€ has just gone up over on Patreon for $2+ tiers. These are geared toward beginners, so a lot of this inaugural post might be things people on the forums are already very familiar with, but in the future Iā€™ll be touching on things like link styling, backgrounds, customizing passages, creating buttons, using images, and more.

If pledging isnā€™t an option for you, thatā€™s fine; patrons get early access to my drafts, but Iā€™ll be making these available for free through a few sources once Iā€™ve written and revised a few more. Iā€™ll publish them together on itch.io later on down the line, and Iā€™m open to suggestions about where else (Medium? Elsewhere?) they might be welcome and useful. Iā€™ll also be working with Dan Cox to fit these tutorials into the Twine Cookbook!

1 Like

The next tutorial is live for $2+ patrons. How to make stylish passages with CSS and HTML, with custom styles for individual passages or ones with certain tags.

1 Like

Might want to mention for what story format, because things work differently in the various Twine story formats.

1 Like

Iā€™m covering SugarCube 1.x & 2.x, Harlowe 1.x and 2.x, and Snowman.

This is also the fourth tutorial so far. After the next one (backgrounds & embedding images), Iā€™ll start editing the first set of 5 and work toward releasing those for free on itch and via the Cookbook.

Iā€™d skip SugarCube v1.x and Harlowe v1.x, since they arenā€™t really used anymore (and probably shouldnā€™t be used anymore). Though you might want to add Harlowe v3.x.

Also, you might want to consider swapping out covering Snowman (which isnā€™t used much) for covering Chapbook instead, since I donā€™t think that there are any independent tutorials for Chapbook yet.

Just a suggestion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A great suggestion, thanks! I really appreciate feedback. Iā€™ve been meaning to update for Harlowe v3.x and start working with Chapbook, so Iā€™ll definitely start that next month.

Now that Iā€™ve gotten a feel for these tutorials and what people seem to find useful, I may make a kind of disclaimer about v1.x versions and stop covering them (or do so in less depth). I think I have one or two people who are still interested in Snowman, but Iā€™ll have to look into it a bit.

2 Likes