new action acting fast problem

Hi, this is probably a really simple problem, but I’m having real trouble with the following and can’t work out why. As I understand it, I’m defining a new action, and then saying the new action acting fast :

[code]Setting the state of it to is an action applying to one thing and one number. Understand “turn [something] to [number]” or “set [something] to [number]” or “adjust [something] to [number]” or “put [something] at [number]” or “crank [something] to [number]” or “switch [something] to [number]” or “change [something] to [number]” as setting the state of it to.

Setting the state of it to is acting fast.[/code]

For the life of me, I can’t work out why Inform is telling me: “The sentence ‘Setting the state of it to is acting fast’ appears to say two things are the same - I am reading ‘Setting the state of it to’ and ‘acting fast’ as two different things, and therefore it makes no sense to say that one is the other”

I’ve looked through the forums and have been unable to see anything about this. What am I missing? All the usual ‘action is acting fast’ rules are fine.

Sorry if it’s just me being dense.

I think when you’re defining a kind of action you can’t use “it”; try “Setting the state of something to something is acting fast.” If that doesn’t work maybe try “Setting is acting fast” or “Setting the state of is acting fast.”

Thank you. That works fine now. I could have looked at that for a thousand years and not got it. Is there a particular reason - I don’t remember seeing that in the docs…(of course, I might just have missed it)

Thanks again.