New 2014 build of Inform now out

But this doesn’t help you avoid unwanted new objects, quite the opposite. Like the example shows with this option you’ll create a new object if you misspell something or fail to type its full name.

Oh, wait. You’re right.

I guess that my fervent hope to have implicit creation of objects killed made me misread this. :cry:

(I hate implicit creation of objects. I want “Jack is a man. Jakc is in the Church.” to throw an error rather than create both Jack and Jakc.)

Looks like some extension authors definitely have some work ahead of them. I’ve been working on fixing up my current project and hit a roadblock in Flexible Windows. Hopefully there won’t be too much trouble working on that upgrade, as I’m sure several games out there do rely on it.

The other major extension I use, Inline Hyperlinks, seems to have survived the upgrade at cursory glance.

Edit:
I take that back. Inline hyperlinks needs some work too. Plain links work correctly, but links using [as] tag do not.

For example: “[link]woman[as]x woman[end link]” will both print and link as “x woman” rather than using both parts.

Strictly speaking, all of Inform’s object creation is implicit. What you want is for implicit creation to be inferred only from “… is a (kind)” declarations, not from relation or property declarations.

(This would have some unobvious side effects. For example, you’d have to say “The moon is a scenery thing” instead of just “The moon is scenery”.)

Awesome to read about this! I appreciate everyone’s hard work and doubtless will even more once I really feel at home with the new features, which sound wonderful.

I don’t know where to put this or if anyone might find it useful, but for translating extensions I’ve found this simple script handy:

To say (x - a text) in all forms:
	say "For the phrase '[x]', the tenses are:[line break]";
	repeat with tense running through grammatical tenses:
		now the story tense is the tense;
		repeat with viewpoint running through narrative viewpoints:
			now the story viewpoint is the viewpoint;
			say "[viewpoint], [tense]  ------  '[x]'."

There is a room. When play begins, say "[We] [are] here." in all forms.

ÄNTLIGEN!

By the way, this

is gonna be useful!

Really like the London Underground design, too …

That’s right. I could have worded that more carefully. (I’d accept the side effects. These bugs can be terribly hard to find in big games where you can’t just look at the index or tree and see the contents of the world at a glance.)

I just read the chapter on adaptive text and responses. I like it!!!

So it’s time to update my extensions. But I’m wondering if I should continue working on Speech Motivations or trash it. I haven’t been keeping up, but a quick search tells me that Threaded Conversation was released in October. Has anyone used it? Do you think it could replace Speech Motivations?

eyeballsun.org/i/Speech%20Motivations.i7x
emshort.wordpress.com/2013/10/17 … versation/

I hope the Linux build come soon, too. I read the ide under Linux will have the same features now as Mac and Windows, this is great!

Great stuff! Especially excited about the adaptive text features!

Excellent stuff. Thanks to Graham and all involved.

I have run some tests against my extensions and the results are:

Patrollers extension works under the new version but I will update to use the new adaptive text and responses system.

Fixed point maths is no longer required.

Questions works but one of the examples needs amending and it no longer needs to link with the fixed point maths extension.

I’m new to IF and just bought Aaron Reed’s book on making IF. These changes seem to mostly be under the hood and other stuff I wouldn’t notice, but are there any concepts I’ll need to consult the new documentation for because it would be completely different from the book? Thanks for all your hard work.

This may seem ridiculous, but I’m particularly pleased the extension is now available as an ePUB.

As for everything else: Hurray! Huzzah! And general rejoicing in the land.

EDIT - Hey, where is this Public Library I keep reading about?

EDIT 2 - You know… theoretically… with the documentation now in a mobile format, it’s plausible for authors to write their IF on their mobile iOS devices, if they have a text processor capable of handling tabs. It’s not an iOS IDE, but it’s the next best thing.

Linux binaries (Fedora/RedHat, Ubuntu and Debian) now available!

Will there be binaries for Ubuntu 64 bit? The 32 bit is not working in Ubuntu 14.04!
Got an error message: cannot install libgtkspell0:i386

This looks pretty classy! Having read the release notes, I have some questions regarding the new grammar stuff:

1. What is the difference between using the tokens “[regarding X]”, “[it]”, “[there]” and manipulating the prior named object variable directly? It seems like these two forms do exactly the same thing, except that the tokens can appear in the middle of a text (and are thus more useful and frankly easier to follow).
  2. How do I declare a new irregular meaningless verb? “To frob is a verb” doesn’t seem to give me a way to define irregular forms (frobnicated rather than frobbed).

In general the new grammar equipment is truly amazing, though, as is the new mathematics equipment.

“[regarding X]” sets the prior named noun, and clears two other internal variables (prior_named_list and prior_named_list_gender). “[it]” implicitly does a [regarding].

I’d say you should stick to “regarding” (so that all three variables are set) but I see that the Standard Rules have many instances of “now the prior named object is nothing”. So I’m not sure what the best practice is here.

I’m curious about this too. I tried to find out how it works, but the best I could do was this comment in the change log:

Unfortunately, I was not able to find the “newly published syntax specification.” Where is that exactly?