Neo Tiny-Sized Reviews - Complete!

Résumé by Requiem

Entry - More by Requiem - IFDB

Never Good Enough…
Naming the game as a Chore on itch is very fitting, as filling out applications for a resume often, if not always feels like an absolute chore. The choice of using Texture for this was the correct one, as the click/drag on desktop reeeaaaaally adds to the chore-like feeling of this task.
The player gets to edit an application for a job, expanding, rephrasing, deleting or submitting at will the different parts. Through the writing, it is obvious the player character is frustrated with the task (and who isn’t, filling those applications are The Worst). Every action has quite a bit of humour in it, especially when expending on some sections.
Good vibes, not good times…

2 Likes

carmen cygni by corvusasteris

Entry - IFDB

A Retelling from a Different Perspective
Son of Helios hurtling towards the ground, as his lover Cygnus cannot take her eyes away from the body about to disappear. After abandoning her kingdom for the one she loved, she is now abandoned herself… But the fates or the gods have other plans for her…
It would have been nice to have a clearer indication the story ended. Because of how the previous passages were formatted, I was expecting a delayed text to appear…

2 Likes

The ecology of the waterways of Mars by lizadaly

Entry - IFDB

An exploration of Martian Ecology
Using snippets and illustrations of the novel “Journeys to the Planet Mars” (1903), the author created a sort of database/paper on the ecology of a certain region of Mars. This entry is more of a muted one compared to the other submitted one, but it is quite beautiful in the way it has been formatted and edited.

3 Likes

Cat vs Villain by Raccoon Raconteur

Entry - More by Raccoon Raconteur - IFDB

Defeat the worst evil of all: the Mighty Cat!
As a villain, you have a reputation to uphold, one of being defeated only by a Hero. How embarrassing it would be if someone knew every morning a Cat. But today…
Oh today, you will defeat it!
The game is adorably delightful, and has the right amount of humour to make the nonsensical situation “normal”. The addition of the Cat’s illustration was so so very cute!

3 Likes

One-Word Warlock by Damon L. Wakes

Entry - More by Damon - IFDB

Sound Effect Galore… and Laugh Galore!
Imagine an adventure text coupled with old timey sound effect. Now remove all words but 5, and make all of those except one choices. This is essentially this entry.
Going from a slice-of-life to absurd to fantasy adventure to easter eggs (the eagles xD), the entry if filled with hilarious moments (even with the limited amount of words on the page). I was giggling through and through while playing!
A very light and lovely addition to the jam!!

6 Likes

a slow death. by kc malik

Entry - More by kc - IFDB

The Dangerous Consequences of Too Much Comparison
It is a human trait to compare one’s self to others. To see how we fare as a person, as a member of a community, as a skilled individual. While the act of comparing is a neutral one as is, the feeling that follows might not be. One can feel pride of having accomplished more than others, or envy for still not having achieved the success other have…
This entry is an autobiographical depiction of the latter, as a personal response to having creative endeavours received by an audience differently to other works. It also brings forward an interesting point about (para)social relationships with stranger on the internet and expectations through these creative endeavours.

3 Likes

Getting Ready for Bed by Dragon Wyvryn

Entry - IFDB

Or maybe distract yourself…
Who hasn’t been tempted to scroll through their phone endlessly instead of doing what they are supposed to do? Or having to wake up early the day after but your phone is right there, tempting you? Sure, you could go to sleep and be fine the in the morning, but you will miss on the fun content if you do…
The entry had some lovely illustrations too!

4 Likes

goodnight by Rylie Eric

Entry - More by Rylie - IFDB

When thoughts are stronger than sleep…
Unable to sleep, you lie awake. Prisoner to your thoughts, fears, and worries. Spiralling and thinking about the worst, with no way out. Wanting to be seen, but afraid of reaction. Wanting to live as your authentic self, but worrying/knowing acceptance won’t be given. It is hard to find sleep when you mind is filled with thoughts…

3 Likes

Almost Lover by Sanadi

Entry - IFDB

Almost Enemies…
After losing touch for so long, you find your next target to be an old friend. Though they are not that friendly anymore… This entry does a nice job of showing the conflicting feelings of the main character.

2 Likes

A Walk on the Beach by Bruhstin/Justin Kim

Entry - More by Bruhstin - IFDB

A Reading to Cleanse your Mind
When in need to reassurance, different people find different venues. Here, it is a tarot reading, answering one’s doubt of being able to endure. Through the cards, the person find meaning, and solace.

2 Likes

Starfighter’s Ballad by Manwad

Entry - More by Manwad - IFDB

The Fight is a Lonely one
Shot off to space to fight aliens, this kinetic piece describes one last fight, the one to end all fight. Geared up to the teeth, you are ready to destroy the ship that killed your friends. I like the hue choice in the background.

2 Likes

Taxi Bargains by 98cicadas

Entry - IFDB

A Deal with the D…river.
What would you give to be reunited with a dead lover? Their car? Your memories of them? The last years of your life? All of this to be able to once again laugh and dance with them… This is a very spooky and trippy retelling of the crossroad devil theme….

2 Likes

eurydicesloveletter by tamburp

Entry - IFDB

Breathing Life through Love
Between a mix of a love letter and a happier-ending retelling of the myth of Eurydice, this entry shows the yearning for a significant other’s love and attention, even if they give their entire life to them. In recognising one’s flaws and the other’s acts of love, one might brush away built-up resentment of missed opportunities.
Lovely entry!

3 Likes

And that’s 124 reviews! (well, 121, because I did 3 of those entries…)
I am officially done with the Neo Twiny Jam!

It was the first time I actually played and reviewed all entries of a jam/comp… I started strong, playing all entries as they came in, but there was a bit of a fatigue by the end. 121 entries is… a lot. Even if they are very short. Still, I don’t regret it one bit, it was a fun experience. Some entries gave me ideas on interactivity or gameplay, others made me appreciate the artistry in the writing. I laughed a ton, and cried quite a bit too. The entries gave a very wide range in stories or take in what IF looks like, especially in small sizes. There was a lot of personal entries, and quite a few silly ones.
From an organisator perspective, this was a very successful first jam. But from a player’s one, it was oh so delightful!

9 Likes

Welp late addition because it turns out I hadn’t reviewed this one… (adding the reviews to the IFDB, realised this one was missing) Which is weird, because I’m pretty sure I did :thinking: but I can’t find the post anymore. So belated forgotten entry… sorry about this!!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sprinklepills! by Lance Cirone

Entry - More by Lance - IFDB

One Day… Your Pitch Will Succeed.
Sprinkepills! is an absurd entry, where you are trying to sway investors to invest in your product: the Sprinklepills! or sprinkles for on the go. It is a very long shot - your product is not quite conventional - but you give it your all. You believe in it with all of your might, even if you do not always find the words to express yourself…
The desperation in the character has the meeting continues was a bit heartbreaking…
Still, this might be the most absurd business pitch I’ve ever encountered.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Ok I am done for real I think.

4 Likes

Nope there was another one!

january frost by mogar

Entry - More by mogar - IFDB

A frosty conversation
“is it an argument if no one wins?” is what the entry asks before the game. In this text exchange spanning a few weeks, frustrations and insecurities lead this argument to both parties’ defeat. The jabs are meant to hurt, not really to solve the issue at hand.
It feels real… and quite sa
d.

It would have looked a tad better if the width of the passage was a bit thinner (like 500px). Sometimes the timing of the next message is a bit awkward

3 Likes

Ah, I’d been wondering where this one was! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the review! I also don’t think you’ve posted your review for Eliza’s on IFDB yet?

2 Likes

I actually just did!
And so are all the other reviews above :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats for not only cohosting the jam but also doing this! I still want to get through half. There are so many that look interesting and just paging through this reminds me of all that.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the reviews, I liked reading them. Sometimes they surprised me, sometimes I concurred with the review, always interesting.

I have used the like button on the reviews for an additional (self-)serving purpose, they were reminders for which games I have yet to play. :wink:

6 Likes