Need help getting an action to occur at a specific time...

Originally, I had wanted the action to occur at a time and I’d set the time, and try to get it to occur at a later time, but I don’t know how to set times so I opted for something different.

Originally, I had wanted to do something like:

[code]The time of day is 4:40 PM.

The slender man goes at 4:45 PM.

At the time that the slender man goes, say: “”[/code]

But that always gave me an error with the whole “the slender man goes” part. Not that I think time would have progressed like it should have anyways.

Here’s the code in question:

[code]At the time when the player looks at the painting: remove the slender man from play.

At the time when you remove the slender man from play:
say “”[/code]

However, it won’t do that. In fact, when the player looks at the painting, nothing out of the ordinary happens. This is a bit irritating, as it’s not only the first scene, but the first room, and I have less than a page typed up and am already having issues.

What am I doing wrong?

As you noticed, “at the time” can’t be used to react to player actions or arbitrary events. Its use is limited to “X in Y turns/minutes from now” and “at the time when X: …” (see ch. 9.11 in the manual)

If you want the event to be triggered by player action, you have to use one of the rules described in chapter 7, for example an after rule:

After examining the painting: say "'Don't look at my paintings!' the slender man cries and runs away."; remove the slender man from play.

(as a side note, the original code would’ve worked if the timer had been in a rule: When play begins: the slender man goes at 4:45 PM.)

Alright, thanks Juhana!

Mainly, I’m trying to use this part to start a moment that ends the scene. After you look at the painting, the main event of the first scene occurs. I was trying to use the slender man’s removal to trigger that, and was trying to use looking at the painting to trigger his removal.

It’s just an introductory scene, so there isn’t much to it other than that…but I’m still having trouble, it seems. :laughing:

I’ll have to see what I can do with what you’ve told me. :smiley:

I finally got that part to work, with this:

[code]When play begins: the slender man goes at 4:45 PM.

The time of day is 4:40 PM.

At the time when the slender man goes:
say “”;
remove the slender man from play.[/code]

Now, if you don’t mind my asking, do I have to end the scene somehow (the scene would end when the slender man is removed from play, as well) or do I just start a new scene, setting it to start when the slender man is removed from play?

EDIT: Okay, found my answer in the documentation. However, here’s my issue. This is my code:

[code]The Dream is a scene.

The Dream begins when play begins.

The Dream ends when the slender man goes.[/code]

However, it gives me this error:

I’ve also tried saying “when the slender man is removed from play” and it gives me the same error. Ideas?

EDIT2: Also tried “The Dream ends at 4:45 PM.” No dice…

EDIT3: Also tried changing it to “Dream” rather than “The Dream” and still no luck.

Aha! What you’re looking for is:

The Dream ends when the slender man is off-stage.