My Journal / Reviews

Final two games played and judged. Yay!

11/13 – Body Bargain

Somehow I figured that in this game there would be more running from antagonists than there was, especially since it was billed as a horror game. You’ve recently had some cosmetic surgery, but now can’t afford it. So my expectations was that you have to avoid guys who hunt you down and extract payment, namely in body parts. In reality playing the game didn’t seem like playing a horror game and I afterward found myself wondering who the real victim was, you or the next patient (badumchi). Lack of medical training and malpractice suits aside, this game was really enjoyable, even for someone who really don’t go in for horror much.
GD: 8 – Starting can be a slightly tricky bit as some steps must be completed before leaving post-op, but then you can (nearly) freely explore before starting the main meat of the game. The main meat isn’t too hard either, as long as you do as you’re told. The only part I found trouble in was when I thought the doctor asked me to fetch anesthesia, but really he just wanted me to cut more.
PO: 8 – While the actual puzzles may not have been entirely original, the fact that you can either go along with the doctor or completely run off track was fun. I actually played though two more times after the first victory (where I did as told) and tried to kill the doctor. I succeeded in killing him the second time through.
SP: 9 – While the game does deal with blood, gore and chopping off limbs the text never hypes it up for sensation’s sake but presents it more or less like a medical text book. Probably for the best as I played after eating supper.
CC: 9 – My lack of medical training might have complicated some of the bits, also in the third surgery I looked unsuccessfully for a scalpel that I was holding at the time (from the first surgery, that can’t be sterile). But it is nice that if you encounter a place where a new or less used command is needed the game points that command out (like SEARCH SHELVES).
E: 9 – Again, I’m not a huge horror fan but found this game enjoyable. My expectations were off in the doctor character, expecting him to be more psycho and crazy instead of amoral and professional. Actually while writing down my notes I played through two more times, the first time making an escape from the doctor without killing him and then did my job more humanely (had to use the walkthrough on that one though).

FINAL SCORE8.7

11/14 – Irving Quik

A nice sci fi game about a bundling cadet who probably will save a world. May be a dime a dozen but I still love the idea. And maybe it’s an Adrift thing, but the intro menu was a very nice aid. I also like that I potentially don’t have to save either, just restart chapters.
GD: 7 – I’ve had to consult the walkthough a few times I must confess, but until I did I didn’t know what Traglenip was (or where to find it). Also I consulted the maps and found I had missed mapping half the ship.
PO: 9 – Even though I eventually went with the alternative method I did like the goggle method of ship landing. Very challenging. Most of the other puzzles are common though.
SP: 7 – The description at times seems to gloss over exits, and it’s worse on the ship where I can go port or north. I’d much rather use ship commands on the ship and if I ask for exits (a nice option though) be given ship style exits. Also, not sure if after I fail the challenge is Grastor still chasing me?
CC: 8 – Again with the ship exits, but regains a point due to the exits command (that tells where the exits are). Also like the intro menu and the ability to choose chapters to start with.
E: 7 – I’m enjoying it, but feel it could use a few more improvements.

11/15 – Hour 2

So despite some issues with the Grastor fight (the first one), I eventually managed to beat the game. The final sequence was challenging (I did get stuck), but overall I had a good time finishing up the competition.
GD: 7 – Most of the issues I encountered were me not paying attention. However the fight sequence against Grastor could be improved (You have to really move it, I don’t think you can get another sprig to divert his attention, and if you fail the game seems to have him coming after you all the time?).
PO: 10 – Same score as before, but I’m giving it another point for having something I’ve never seen in an IF game before: a hallway full of kung fu fighting. And each enemy has it’s own strengths and weaknesses to overcome. Wow.
SP: 7 – Not much has changed, saw a grammatical error when I got stuck but still.
CC: 8 – Gets a point for incorporating fighting action into the game, but also loses a point because the end can become unwinnable. If you don’t have the fish and you go up the stairs in the royal chambers, you get stuck. There’s no way out and you have to listen to Fat Cat’s speech all over again.
E: 8 – Still needs some more polish, but the fighting bit was awesome!

FINAL SCORE8.0

For anyone interested, here are my favorites and least favorites.

FAVS

1st (tie)
Spiral - Ability to control two characters and send them into dream sequences that have the ability to influence each other. Good puzzles and well executed.
Shuffling Around - Haven’t seen a game like this since Nort & Bert, and it managed to capture the playful wordplay elements of that game beautifully.
2nd (tie)
Body Bargain - Despite the gore and horror loved the multiple endings and ability to either follow or stray from a scripted path.
Murphy’s Law - Hilarious. Would love to see a sequel if it’s as funny as the first, maybe without the waiting.
3rd (tie)
Eurydice - At first it was sad, then there was a glimmer of hope that I could change what had happened. Maybe one day I’ll get through those gates.
Changes - Despite not finishing it the whole animal community feel is there, and playing as something soft and vulnerable for a change was nice.

DISLIKES

Signos - Some of the actions made little sense or had a valid reason for doing them. Also should have implemented more ways to wake up than just one.
The Island - Writing felt subpar, needed more item descriptions and despite a twist ending still missed mark of being a horror game.
Castle Adventure - Lose 50% of the map and fix unwinnable sections and it’d become an ok game.
Kicker - Not opposed to it because of the sports theme, but the fact that you spend 75% of the game just watching instead of doing? Seems pointless.