Moving the player.

Oh, I like the quiet intimacy here. It’s like knowing about a nice little coffee shop the hipsters haven’t ruined and overwhelmed with their iPad power cords yet.

Oh, for me it goes a lot deeper than teeth. Heart and soul, body and mind, my life belongs to them, and I only wish I could live longer so I could give 'em more years :slight_smile:

No no, don’t get me wrong. I only weeks ago bequeathed my remaining treasures to my son in an attempt to interest him in the genre. This consisted of little and was sorely outdated. (2nd Edition AD&D, among which were my coveted Menzoberranzan and original Ruins of Undermountain boxed sets) I lived in those boxes and books for many, many years.

So, Ghalev, is it safe to say that you’re not interested in reading the source code for my demo “The Table,” which (aside from a massive blort of I6 that Victor wrote) consists mostly of a bunch of tables of lists?

(You don’t want to play it, either.)

It’s safe to say that I wish I could read it :slight_smile:

If I can interrupt your fun (I found the docs to be quite adequate, although I echo the sentiments about table syntax), might I suggest that the OP probably doesn’t even need scenes and can just print the paragraphs at the appropriate intervals? Like so (forgive me for any syntactical errors, this is off the top of my head):

[code]After going from the Edge of the Forest to Deeper in the Forest for the first time:
say “(Giaks flyover description)”;
if a random chance of 1 in 2 succeeds:
the Giaks land in 1 turn from now;
otherwise:
you escape in 1 turn from now.

At the time when the Giaks land:
say “(Giaks land description)”.

At the time when you escape:
say “(escape the Giaks description)”.[/code]

About the random chance: First, 5 in 10 is the same as 1 in 2. Second, it’s not very exciting to have the escape be completely random. From the player’s perspective, without replaying the game, you don’t even know that there were other possible outcomes–you only know what happened to you. Wouldn’t it be more fun for the player to be able to make a choice governing the escape (eg, “run east” vs “run south”), or to have it depend on some other condition (eg, “if the player is wearing the boots of speed…”)?

For that matter, it looks more like a CYOA than a regular IF. Perhaps the OP should try ChoiceScript or something of that nature if that’s the direction s/he is going?

I’m also sensing this is one of those games that needs a pronunciation guide.

I tried and my computer tazed me.

Given the reference to both Giaks and Helgedad, it would seem to take place in Magnamund, so very CYOA (well, gamebook) indeed, at least at its roots :slight_smile:

Right you are. Gamebook beats the author’s house as a first game, I suppose (although I do often wonder about the dearth of first-game creativity).

I’m actually working on a “deluxe” edition of my own first effort right now … as if it could get better.

Could if you worked in some tables of lists…

I’m pretty sure I could work those in from the player’s perspective! (Of course, I’d code them using something entirely other …)