Moving the player

Hi there, just wanting a little help with something. I’m trying to make a ruleset that will move a player one room in a particular direction. What i don’t want to do is have to script a set of destinations for each room. Any advice?

I think you need to be a little clearer about what you mean here; my guess is that you could accomplish this with some variation on ‘try going north’, but I’m not sure what precisely you’re trying to do.

Sorry. I had another look at my post and i can see that what i typed was almost completley retarded… Whoops.

I’m trying to adapt the nautical direction rules from example 40. Basically, I’m trying to remove the limitations on only using nautical directions in nautical areas, yet prevent the player from using nautical directions in ground based areas.

What i want it do do instead of the default "Before going a nautical direction when the location is not nautical, say “Nautical directions can only be used on board ship.” " is, if the player trys to go fore in a land based area:

Before going a nautical direction when the location is not nautical: say "Nautical directions can only be used on board ship."; if the nautical direction is fore: say "Did you mean North"; if the player consents: (Move the player north)

etc.

Once again, i really don’t know how you were supposed to get what i wanted from my previous post.

The last line should tell the player to try going:

Before going a nautical direction when the location is not nautical:
	say "Nautical directions can only be used on board ship.";
	if the nautical direction is fore:
		say "Did you mean North?[paragraph break]>";
		if the player consents:
			try going north instead.

Or you could try something like this (with or without the “does the player mean”-rules):

Understand "fore" as north when the location is earthbound.
[Does the player mean going north when the location is earthbound: it is likely.]

OKay, thanks guys