Mobile Cryptozookeeper now available

The mobile version of Cryptozookeeper I’ve been working on with Robb Sherwin is finally published! You can get it for Android and iOS for $2.99 / €3.49 / £2.99. For store links see https://mantissa-interactive.com/cryptozookeeper/ or search App Store or Play Store by name.

Cryptozookeeper was published by Robb in 2011 and it won five XYZZY awards, including best game. It’s one of the most substantial modern IF games ever made and illustrated throughout. The game also includes RPG-like elements when you create and train different cryptids. Note: Includes themes not suitable for children.

The desktop version is still available to download for free from cryptozookeeper.com or with a small fee from Steam.

It’s been a very interesting project in many ways, and I’m hoping to write later a bit more about different technical and practical aspects. Hopefully you’ll enjoy the mobile experience!

4 Likes

I wanted to chime in here and say that Cryptozookeeper is monumental. It’s greatest achievement, in my opinion, is that it has a big cast of NPCs that constantly follow you around, that actively participate in the story, and that react to in-game events without duplicating their responses too much. I’ve never seen a parser IF game do this besides Cryptozookeeper.

The game definitely isn’t suitable for chlidren, or even many adults. I usually don’t play games with tons of profanity, but this seemed so good from the intro that I hacked my own profanity filter to play it, and I’m glad I did. This game is insanely good. I’m so impressed you managed to get it onto phones, and I hope a ton of people play it.

1 Like