"Minimal vocabulary" in Inform 6 or 7

FWIW, I agree mostly with bukayeva; I think maga is over-correcting. :slight_smile: Consider (if you please) the following hypothetical game transcripts:

Each response gives a slightly different flavor to the rest of the game, I agree ā€” and I think this is what maga means by saying that ā€œx meā€ contributes to characterization. But as bukayeva says, it doesnā€™t contribute a really significant amount; take whatever game youā€™re imagining from one of the first few transcripts above, and now imagine that same game with ā€œx meā€ giving Informā€™s default flippant response. Itā€™d break the immersion a bit, right? but it wouldnā€™t cause the quality of the entire game to suffer noticeably.

The response to ā€œx meā€ can vary wildly in its contribution to characterization, too. I think that first transcript would be an indicator of a decently written game, donā€™t you? But delete the last two sentences and it becomes (for me) worse than nothing. I would vastly prefer to see either of the last two responses than any of the three before them. Chekovā€™s Gun again ā€” if the response to ā€œx meā€ is actually useful and helpful in my understanding of the puzzle and/or story, then great; but if itā€™s just written out of a sense of obligation, Iā€™d rather not see it at all.

This is turning into an interesting discussion on ā€œx meā€, so Iā€™m not sure if I should derail it by admitting that ā€œsingā€ (ā€œjumpā€, etc.) is a much worse offender than ā€œx meā€. I think we might end up all agreeing on that point! :wink:

Again, each response contributes a certain amount of characterization. Itā€™s very much tied up with the ā€œplayer-protagonist-narratorā€ trinity, though; some of these responses tell you more about the protagonist, some tell you more about the narrator. Iā€™m particularly not a fan of responses #2 (the Inform default) and #4 (ā€œYouā€™d rather not.ā€), because they demonstrate a conflict between the player and the narrator/commentator, which reads to me as a conflict within the protagonist. The PC is going about his business when suddenly he has an urge to sing ā€” but before he can act on it, itā€™s squelched by an inner policeman. This is characterization too, but itā€™s usually not the sort of characterization that the IF author intended. Response #5 is superior because it pushes the squelching all the way up to the parser level; I can now write for a PC who never has sudden urges to burst into song. Response #3 (presumably in an interactive Ruddigore) strikes me as unobjectionable, because the commentator seems to be playing along with the player, rather than bluntly or dismissively squelching his command.

IOW: If your protagonist is stodgy Mr Banks who never wants to sing, then you should remove the verb ā€œsingā€ at the parser level. If your protagonist is repressed Mr Banks who feels it would not be proper for a respectable bank manager to break into song, then you should provide an appropriate response at the narration level. If you handle it at the wrong level, I will notice, and it will irk me.

ā€œx meā€ contributes only a little to characterization, in the same way that the first line of a book contributes only a little to the novel.

IMO youā€™re waay oversimplifying. ā€œGrunk orc. Big and green and wearing pants.ā€ doesnā€™t just tell me that the PC is a big green orc named Grunk who wears pants; it also tells me that Grunk has an idiosyncratic speaking style. That heā€™s aware of the fact that heā€™s an orc, for whatever thatā€™s worth, and that he feels the need to put that first in his self-identification. That he doesnā€™t have many big or complicated ideas, and is fairly literal-minded. That he is probably not wearing anything besides pants. That maybe I should ā€œx pantsā€ next. That he fixates on odd things (like putting ā€œpants-wearingā€ in the same category as ā€œbigā€ and ā€œgreenā€) in a childlike manner. That he says the darndest things and the commentator lets him, which means I can probably look forward to more amusing reactions from Grunk over the course of the game; maybe I should even try some silly inputs to see what Grunk does. (ā€œLost Pigā€ 100% delivers on this promise, which is why itā€™s my go-to example of a great game.)

ā€œYou are Bill Blake, co-founder of Whitman & Blake Dry Goods, one of the leading such outfits in all of Dixie.ā€ doesnā€™t just tell me the PCā€™s name and occupation; it also tells me that the PC is probably business-minded, proud of his company, an enthusiastic salesman. That he has a couple of Southern idiosyncrasies in his speech (ā€œoutfitsā€, ā€œDixieā€). Heā€™s being characterized as perhaps a good olā€™ boy, but more likely (depending on his age) an up-and-comer, go-getter type. Probably happy to exchange business cards. Knows a lot about dry goods; that might come in handy on this quest. Speaking of this quest, what quest is Bill trying to complete, anyway? If heā€™s stopping to EXAMINE SELF, he should have something on his mind more important than the current regional status of Whitman & Blake Dry Goods. Maybe heā€™s a good salesman, but heā€™s not very self-aware. Sort of like Grunk in some ways. I may have to coach Bill through some of what comes ahead. (I had to Google for this excerpt from Adam Cadreā€™s ā€œShrapnelā€; indeed Bill does go on after that first sentence with some meatier stuff. But my point is, if he didnā€™t, then that would carry a lot of meaning, too.)

Again, ā€œx meā€ isnā€™t unique; you can extract this sort of close-reading characterization from every message in the entire game. But it sounded to me like you (matt) were saying that ā€œx meā€ is useful only for physical description or whatever is explicitly thumped into the playerā€™s head (ā€œGrunk hero. Intelligent and athletic and wearing pants.ā€), and no, itā€™s definitely more than that.

For what itā€™s worth, I always interpreted ā€œYour singing is abominableā€ as your character attempting to sing and then judging the results as abominable, rather than a flat-out refusal. That said, I agree with this very much:

As a player, thatā€™s one of my least favorite IF tropes: giving a command and then being told that I donā€™t actually want to do that after all, even though I clearly do or I wouldnā€™t have entered that command. I donā€™t even like being told that I canā€™t pick up an item, not because thereā€™s any external force preventing me from picking it up but because the author decided I donā€™t need it. As an author, though, I think that to some degree itā€™s a necessary evil because itā€™s just not practical to implement everything that the PC should be able to do that wouldnā€™t move the story in a useful direction (plus, if you allow them to fiddle around with things that donā€™t help them progress, players will complain that there are too many ā€œred herringsā€).

Even so, I think that personally I would always rather see a well-written justification as to why Iā€™m not allowed to do something than a message like ā€œIā€™m sorry, I donā€™t understand that sentence,ā€ which immediately takes me out of the fiction and makes me start thinking about the limitations of the parser.

Also, I agree with Quuxplusone that in a well-written game, ā€œx meā€ can be an extremely useful tool for characterization. It doesnā€™t just tell you about the character, but about how the character thinks of himself, which can be very revealing.

quux+1: Right, itā€™s definitely an oversimplification to say that thatā€™s all that the ā€œx meā€ responses do in that case. But again, some of the things youā€™re talking about are done by all the writing. Every sentence of the output tells you that Grunk has an idiosyncratic speaking style; only the x me tells you that heā€™s a big green orc.

Which is important information.

Put another way, ā€œx meā€ is a way of saying ā€œwho am I?ā€ The way thatā€™s answered can tell you a lot of things; but the explicit stuff about who you are is also important, and thatā€™s what youā€™re explicitly looking for there.

(By the way, I think some of the vocab youā€™re picking up on in the Shrapnel example is more nineteenth-century than Southern.)

Itā€™s just a matter of taste, but I donā€™t really feel the problem with the parser telling you that you donā€™t want to do something. Raising the Flag on Mount Yo Momma had ā€œAt the last moment you decide not to do thatā€ whenever you tried to (I think) give something to the wrong person, and that seemed to me like a good way of telling me that that wasnā€™t the right thing to do without going all the way to having the game explicitly tell me that was the wrong answer. (It goes almost all the way.)

Another issue is that if the game outright doesnā€™t understand a command, I might think that I need to find a different way to try the same thing. If the verb is implemented with an unhelpful response, then ideally that tells me that I just shouldnā€™t bother with it. (Ideally. This doesnā€™t always work out.)

Yeah, I was gonna point that out in a parenthetical, but I use too many parentheticals as it is. :slight_smile:

I dunno; you have a point, but I can come up with (at least hypothetical) examples where ā€œx meā€ gives only information about mental state, not physical description; where ā€œx meā€ gives very little information but the rest of the game gives plenty; or where ā€œx meā€ gives a lot of physical data but the result is really terrible writing and unengaging gameplay.

Funny, Iā€™m practically the opposite ā€” although I wouldnā€™t be surprised if I prefer more austere games in the first place. In my preferred games, the solution is rarely ā€œSAUTE MUSHROOMS IN OILā€ or ā€œDARCY, ASK PHYLLIS WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHTā€. If I try ā€œBREAK VASEā€ and the game gives me something thatā€™s clearly a parser-level error, Iā€™ll deduce ā€œokay, I donā€™t need to break anything in this gameā€ (i.e. Iā€™ve just learned something really useful); if it indicates recognition by something like ā€œYou donā€™t need to break that.ā€, Iā€™ll probably take that as a clue that something will eventually need to be broken. If it turns out that it wasnā€™t a clue after all, then Iā€™d call it a red herring.

The very final puzzle in the original ā€œAdventureā€ is sort of an example of what I mean: ā€œThere is something special about this place, such that one of the words Iā€™ve always known has a new effect.ā€ Admittedly, the word itself is practically undiscoverable, but if you were to stumble across it purely by accident in the early game, maybe youā€™d think of applying it again in the endgame. The word is BLAST, which early in the game gives the ā€œsillyā€ message ā€œBlasting requires dynamite.ā€

To provide an alternative perspective, when I enter a command and receive something that looks like a parser error, I donā€™t conclude that Iā€™ll never need to do that - it could very well be that I simply phrased a valid command incorrectly, or that the parser only understands that particular command under particular circumstances (which is silly, but happens more often than youā€™d think). The only scenario in which Iā€™ll actually conclude that Iā€™ll never need to perform a particular action is if the game recognises the action and tells me so (e.g., ā€œyou donā€™t need to break things in this gameā€).