Merk's Review: wHen mAchines aTtack

(scroll down - the review draft is below)

I played this game for about 10 minutes and then gave up. I thought the introduction while following the receptionist around was a good technique to help you get the lay of the land. Unfortunately, the wording of the room descriptions, combined with the large simultaneous information dump you’re getting from the receptionist, made it really difficult for me to build a mental map. After that I glanced at the walkthrough, saw it was pretty involved and moved on.

The game did sound promising, though. I would definitely be willing to give it a shot in a post-comp release (hopefully a well-edited one).

I got the same impression. The lead-in was probably meant to familiarize the player without the layout and some important locations, yet it ended up being too confusing for me. Somehow, I had mentally pictured the large main area as having a central work zone surrounded by railing of some sort (it wasn’t really clear), but with a path that goes all the way around on all sides. Later, I found that really wasn’t the case. You can only go around it in sort of a semicircle to the south, east, and north. The author used plenty of text to describe it, but it was the wrong text. I never did figure out how the “big” machine was blocking my view, or what it was blocking my view of, or how the railing protected the work area, or really just what the place would look like from a bird’s-eye view.