Merk's Review: Violet

(scroll down)

That last part should probably be taken with a grain of salt. If another game this good were to pop up, even designed with the same one-room model, that’s really not a bad thing.

I can positively refute the suggestion that Jeremy Freese and Sam Gordon are the same person! I didn’t manage to get my latest game finished for this year’s comp, but I’m flattered that you think my work could be compared with Jeremy’s.

Cheers

(The real) Sam Gordon

Okay – ha ha. Thanks.

Well, since that’s just a draft, I can either revise that out of it, or just add an addendum. I think it’s still a fitting comparison, though (the design is a lot like what you did in Lord Bellwater’s Secret), so I might just add notes in the review or at the bottom.

I haven’t played Lord Bellwater’s Secret, but after trying Violet, I was favorably reminded of another entry from last year: Lost Pig. Not necessarily in the tone (though they are both whimsical to different degrees), but in the attention to detail and implementation. I liked this one a lot and, even with limited data points for comparison, I would also not be surprised to see this one place near the top.

I played and liked Lord Bellwater’s Secret much.
And I’m also enjoying this Violet too !

I don’t have much more to say than in the review, but the writing of Violet is very well conducted. The author knew for sure how to deal with the temptation of wasting time on internet, better than the protagonist of Violet… (and better than me, who has a game to write too…)
He certainly wrote more than 1000 words, and this fiction is vividly filled with events (outside window, outside the door).