Merk's Review: Red Moon

After stalling out over the past five days, I’ve moved forward. This is a draft of my review for Red Moon, which is the 18th game on my randomly-ordered list. That makes it the center mark, with 17 before and 17 yet to come. It looks like I’ll make the deadline, but I think others have been finished for days now.

This is nothing to do with Red Moon or any game in particular, but I’m starting to think I might skip the reviews next year, and just play to vote. Or maybe I’ll get an entry done in time myself. The big thing is just that I seem to be spending more time reviewing than playing, and most of what I have to say could probably come out just in the form of a discussion.

Also – and this is something I thought I’d never do – but I might also take to skipping ones that don’t win me over after a few minutes (next year, I mean). I know that’s the norm for many judges. I used to dislike the practice on principle alone. If an author put effort into a game – or even if he didn’t – it’s still important to see everything there is to see, in order to make the most informed decision possible. The worst thing for me, especially in response to my earliest entries, was seeing a reviewer dismiss the game as worthless after admitting to playing through only a fraction of it. But now… I don’t know. I’m starting to see why that happens. Skipping the obviously bad ones and not worrying about a review would definitely speed up the process. :slight_smile:

But that’s digression, and nothing to do with this review. So…

Scroll down past the spoiler space for the review.

I’m constantly impressed by how seriously some of the judges take the judging, by doing like you say and playing through a work they wouldn’t normally without the context of judging. I admit my approach is the complete opposite, and I have no problem with judging a work based on the opening 15 or 20 minutes of play.

One advantage of the recent relaxation of discussion rules is I can read a review of a game I previously dismissed, and then go back to it.

Hopefully it balances out? :wink:

That reminds me of a third way to make the comp go quicker. Wait, check the reviews, and only play the best. :slight_smile:

I noticed this too, I would typically play through one game in part of the evening, but spend the rest of the evening reading reviews and writing my own. It’s a little tough, but I think it’s worth doing at least once. We’ll see next year.

I think I got all the ‘short’ games in one bunch in my random order. Lately I need all two hours to finish the game.

Which do you do first – read other reviews, or write your own? I’ve been doing the latter, although a time or two I’ve seen spoilers just in checking reviews that mention or reference other IFComp games. So far, my observations and opinions are more in step with the norm than in years past.

Ha. You and me both. At first, I wondered if there were going to be any overly-long entries this year, but the answer is yes.

I try to make sure I have most of a review written before I read other reviews. I think it colors my review too much otherwise. I end up thinking “Wait, I can’t say that, that’s what [someone else] said.”