Merk's Review: Opening Night

A draft of my review of Opening Night is below the spoiler space.

This one took a while to write, and it’s not even that long a review. The big problem was just trying to figure out what I wanted to say without needless rambling (I even cut out a couple harmless but extraneous rants). With three kids now (that includes six-month-old twins), I’m finding too little free time and a general lack of excitement when it comes time to actually write the review. :confused:

So far this is the only game I’ve played from this year’s comp. I too have a young child, a three-month-old daughter, which is also why I didn’t enter a game of my own this year. Based on your review, though, I had to play it to make sure that the twist wasn’t the same one I had in mind for a future work. :slight_smile:

Are you referring to hearing a cell phone ring? I guess that does stretch the age of the PC a bit – even if the “present” is actually, say, 15 years ago, that still makes him 90+. And the fact that you still hear streetcars rattling past amongst car alarms and cellphones seems a bit odd. (Also, by that point I had actually “tuned out” the ambient noise, so it took me longer than it should have to figure out what was going on.)

Yeah, that’s what I’m referring to. And 15 might be a stretch. It happens in the game so often that it has to be fairly recent. Fifteen years ago (1993), few people had “mobile” phones, and usually they came in big bags due to the huge battery (i.e., “car phones”). So I’m thinking this century, probably from 2002 or so. It’s probably supposed to be present day, though, and that’d make the PC simply ancient.

On the other hand, one can think of this like sort of a “curse” - an undone task that is so important for the protagonist he can’t afford to die (or become less active) until he completes it.

This is one of the few games I was planning to go back to play in more depth, so thanks for the review, I think it’s given me the extra push I needed. When I first played it I was kind of confused by the surreal turn it took and didn’t think the writing or story matched that feeling; it looks like something else was going on that I missed in the Comp-playing rush.

Yes, although I wanted everything to make sense in the end, the PC’s age is one part of Opening Night that may require some suspension of disbelief. The “modern” time period I had in mind was early to mid-90s, when cellphones were first becoming popular (if a bit of a yuppie status symbol). This would still put the PC in his 90s. If I had changed the time periods though, I don’t think I would have been able to tell the same story.

Thanks for the review and for playing my game!