Merk's Review: Magic

Scroll down.

Hmm. Seems it’s being pointed out that it has been done before, and with better results. Well, I did say that I hadn’t seen it before. :slight_smile:

Dan Shiovitz makes an interesting observation that it’s really a shaggy dog story, which would explain the meandering plot.

Even following the walkthrough, I had no idea what to make of that hamster cage puzzle. Wow.

I’ve seen several reviews that mention a joke or pun at the very end of the game, centered around the final action. I wish I had my transacript in front of me to investigate a little more, but I don’t. Can anybody shed light on what this joke is? I’m trying to figure out how I didn’t recognize it.

The ending is a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

If you mean the magic used, it’s vaguely reminiscent of the magic in Savoir Faire, although in that game you link the fate of objects or exchange properties, rather than completely changing the objects themselves.

I had three big problems with this game, though. The first you mentioned (there’s just not enough sense of what your goals are and what you’re supposed to be doing.) Even the fact that the rabbits are the ‘villains’ isn’t really adequately established – the first rabbit that attacks you is set up as somewhat justified, so my reaction was to be glad I’d gotten off that lightly.

The second problem is that it’s often not clear how your magic works – for instance, although it requires that two things be similar, that similarity only goes one way (in the way the game’s designer though of). Trying to change things in the opposite direction never works, even though you’d expect it to. And in general it’s hard to figure out exactly what you’re looking for in terms of similarities.

The third problem is that there’s not really any chance to play with the game’s magic system – games like Enchanter gave you large numbers of places where you could fiddle with things magically right off the bat, so you could get a sense for how your spells work. The absence of that here really detracted from the sense of ‘magic.’ I was never even quite sure if my discovery of an actual magic spell was meant to be something fantastic or mundane – did I have any real magical abilities before that? Was this a world where magic was commonplace, or was this something strange and fantastic? I didn’t get enough reaction from my character to know.

The setting did remind me a bit of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which is a plus, I guess. But I couldn’t tell if that was in my head or if it really was supposed to be that sort of setting.