Some reports have been coming in that the new-user signup emails aren’t being delivered. Once I started investigating, I found some issues with Exim (the mail service). Once I started trying to fix those issues, I realized that my configuration file has been replaced with some other one (and I don’t think I have a backup of it – lots of changes I made, and I don’t even remember what all I have to do). So further research uncovered a recent exploit in EXIM 4 that lets a person gain root privilege and generally mess stuff up. Apparently, this exploit was only discovered 10 days ago. Looks like my server was hacked on the 16th.
I’m trying to “fix” the problem without restaging the entire server, but I’m about to the point where there may be no other choice. So, just be prepared for errors saying MySQL is down, or the server is inaccessible, etc. I don’t yet know what’s going to be involved to recover.