MAX_STATIC_DATA maximum reached

Very nice! I didn’t know it was possible ^^

Capmikee, thank you for your example. I will use your model as a new base.
I think I have to rewrite everything anyway.
I doubt I could put everyone in a single table but in fact it looks simpler to manage if inform7 can handle this.
I may have 14 body parts, as many bones and again as many organs (I don’t count blood which will be processed separately). I plan to have less than 10 persons in the game but I would like to have an idea of how many persons could be supported by this system. How many rows could be considered as a limit (if not hard limit a limit that would make the game slow) ? Thank you.

Well, I7 is fun especially in the phrases, function names etc…
But functions and variables have not the clarity, functionality and dynamic properties we would like them to have. And especially tables, which must be processed by rows for example… All of this lack the flexibility which is the bliss of modern programming languages.
But you couldn’t write :

The universe is a room.
Bragok is a man in the universe.

in an other language and expect it to create the universe for you.

The problem is that I compile to glulx and have this error message…

Yes this is a problem I have bumped all the time.
You have examples that explain you how to put clothes with underlying but the example works only with the player and a limited amount of clothes. In a game if you want to process clothes you have to test everyone with all the clothes, you can’t decide beforehand which clothes underlies which clothes because people size also differ, this system can’t be done with I7 built in functions and you need to make pure programming with tables and variables, which is very difficult in I7… same for combat and pretty much any simulation system. inform built in functions seem very attractive but they work, as it has been said, just as lipstick on the manual.

I agree with some suggestions above that the main failings of most of the i7 documentation I have tried to go by are (1) failure to avoid those forward references; and (2) failure to consider all possible forms of input (including fail modes) when describing any grammar function’s output. The latter is the worst offence: I often have to discover how a function will actually respond to my particular planned inputs by a process of trial & error to figure out how it fails. I have not investigated every possible manual out there though – only tried a few before I lost patience with ‘choosing a manual’ and just started to fill in the gaps with my own lab notes.

P.