Mathbrush's 2024 IFComp Review Thread

One also takes a kind of deconstructionist view of God of the type that I’ve seen be more popular among those who’ve left religions and are seeking their own meaning.

The section I think you’re talking about

“Making everything in the universe over the course of a week? Sounds like a manic episode to me. If you ask me, that 7th day of rest was when the mania sunk into depression”

puts it irreverently, but I don’t think it’s too far off from mainstream theology that tries to explain the concept of a personal God that feels things and regrets things despite being omniscient.

There are boilerplate explanations from atheist and religious apologists alike, of course, but there isn’t an answer that will satisfy everyone.

The game doesn’t really offer a solution to the problem. Instead, it kind of shifts tracks to the self-imposed burden of responsibility and/or guilt that mental health workers might suffer.

That part reminded me of the Martin Scorsese film Bringing Out the Dead, which deals with medics instead of mental health workers but wrestles with the same kind of burden with a religious approach (both at greater length and a ridiculous amount of religious imagery).

2 Likes