Mathbrush Spring Thing 2022 review thread

You, me and coffee

This is a Bitsy game with 6 different main paths. Bitsy is a visual equivalent to Twine, using simple graphics and arrow keys, although this particular game has some more elaborate images.

Instead of moving a character like most Bitsy games, you navigate a conversation menu. It’s a rainy day, and you walk in to see an old friend you haven’t seen through years. Different conversations seem to give completely different friends; or do they? There’s another thread at the end which is interesting.

Overall, I found this game polished, descriptive, and the interactivity matched its length. I don’t think I’d play it again, but it was emotionally interesting to me.

7 Likes

Brian, I’m pretty sure I have your method down: all full-length games in reverse alphabetical order before shorter ones. If that’s the case, then you missed one: the fabulous Bones of Rosalinda by @agat , which I tested, and which is amazing and not to be missed.

If I have misunderstood and this was not an oversight, then I will stoically accept my hand slap and move on bravely.

ETA: Or possibly you tested it too?

11 Likes

Ah, thanks for exposing my secret shame…I’m actually having trouble beating it lol. I’ll post a review when I’m finished. I’m having fun so far! You were right about my scheme.

(Now I want to embed other meta-puzzles into my review schemes in the future for others to find. I’ll have to plan ahead for this IFComp…)

11 Likes

I see that my work here is done. This is my superpower, and it’s an awful one. I am always doing something like saying “I love your punk rock hair!” only to be told it’s the chemo. It’s like being an X-Man, except I have to be Rogue.

7 Likes

Wry

This is a one-room parser game with a lot of little and big gags in it. You are an insurance salesman waiting for a noble Baroness to arrive to sell insurance too.

In the meantime, though, several mishaps occur, each more ridiculous than the last.

Like others, I found the ending abrupt and thought there might be more. Decompiling the source code, I could find no solution to the burning curtains, while at least one other reviewer found that reaching the part of the game with more points gave an alternate ending.

Our male character has a sexual fixation with the baroness, and it crops up enough that I personally found it annoying, as I don’t associate such material with positive feelings.

Overall, the comedic timing was well-done, and outside of the ending I found the puzzles not too hard and also engaging.

6 Likes

I’m more and more convinced that Wry is an optimization game where you should try to get as many points as you can before the inevitable burning curtains signal the end of the game..

2 Likes

I’m just here to mention that there is a Hints file for The Bones of Rosalinda – another player has pointed out to me it has no separate link on the Spring Thing entries page, so it’s easy to miss.

It’s in the “extras” subfolder of the game’s zip file, and in the “Downloads” section of the itch page, in case anyone needs it!

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Right on time. I’m just starting Bones. Opening up the zip now.

4 Likes

The Bones of Rosalinda

This author has a history of making highly-polished twine games with complex and robust systems.

This game is no exception. You play as a recently-reanimated skeleton in pieces, and have the capability of moving each piece independently.

The map is constrained at first but then slowly opens up in manageable pieces.

The complexity is quite high; you can play as your self, detach your parts and play as them, and command another character as well. There is an inventory which allows you to both use items on things in the room and to combine items together.

The story is light comedic fantasy with dramatic elements (maybe Polonius would call it tragical-comical-fantastical-dramatic). The light-heartedness is connected to gameplay as well, which lets you face certain scenes over and over if needed to give you time to think of a solution.

The complex nature of the inventory and pc-changing system proved pretty hard for me. A couple of times, I had the right idea for the solution, but didn’t know how to implement it. As an example (major spoilers for kitchen puzzle), I knew that the peppers were bad for the dog, so I tried to pick up my arm and the peppers and combine them to rub them on it. Then I tried dropping the arm while holding the peppers. I tried talking to the cook, but didn’t realize I could switch characters while talking, and there is a later similar puzzle which doesn’t allow character switching during a short scripted scene. These kinds of issues with playing are normal for me with parser games, but Twine games rarely reach such a level of complexity. Overall, I found it challenging in a good way, and can heartily recommend it (and need to remember to nominate it for some XYZZY awards next year).

8 Likes

Tours Roust Torus

Out of the many wordplay games Andrew Schultz has made, the anagram ones are perhaps my favorites (along with Threediopolis). I feel like coming up with anagrams is hard enough to be fun but easy enough not to be overwhelming or send me to hints or online solvers right away.

This is a compact game, set on a circle (or torus) with 7 different locations. Each one is solvable through an anagram.

After that, there is a motion puzzle that is a little tricky to solve. What is going on, exactly? Well, it seems like they want you to (strong spoilers without an explicit solution) visit every square of the torus, never moving more than half its length at once, and varying your steps somewhat.

It took me quite a while to figure out what was wanted here, as I kept finding solutions deemed ‘too easy’.

Overall, I’d say this is a fairly challenging game, and definitely one not to miss for fans of the first two, longer games.

8 Likes

Thief of the Thousand Suns

This fantasy twine game is modeled on Shakespeare’s language and style of writing, and deals with bandits in search of a temple with a hidden treasure.

The story has some fascinating elements of time travel and Pictish culture, of which I learned many new things (one I didn’t fully learn was the other name for Picts, and so I haven’t used it here as I’ve forgot it).

There are some interesting mechanics, such as a variable amount of gold that you can bribe someone with, with varying results. The styling looks quite nice.

I didn’t feel completely drawn into the game, for whatever reason. Partially it might be because some of the language was off, like using ‘thy’ as a subject or the ‘-st’ suffix for the third person tense. I enjoy Shakespeare quite a bit too, and I feel it could have been a little closer.

Overall, though, the game feels quite polished and I expect that I would enjoy further works by this author.

7 Likes

Sweetpea

This was a game of big contrasts for me. There were parts of it that were phenomenal and parts I struggled with.

This is a story about a young girl alone at home whose father is outside, texting her to let him in. The problem is, though, that her father was in the study just a little while ago.

I loved the writing in this. Vivid and surreal images mixed together for a very creepy feel. It reminded me of some goosebumps stories when I was younger, like the one where the dad was a plant scientist.

I had a couple of problems with the choice structure, though. Where I struggled the most was:
-It was hard to differentiate between ‘side-topic choices’ and ‘move on’ choices. There are two distinct kinds of choices in the story: pink boxes and in-line links. But sometimes an inline link was a ‘moving on’ choice and sometimes a ‘side-topic’, and you couldn’t tell just from placement. The pink boxes looked a bit out of place, too.
-I felt out of sync with the options. Something scary would happen, and I’d think ‘I have to get out!’ but the options were always things like ‘Hang out and explore’ or ‘eat some food’. For some reason I couldn’t get my mind in sync with the character.

I love horror and find this writing style to be very enjoyable, so I’d definitely like to see more games from this author. I just hope that I’ll be more in synch with the choice structure next time.

8 Likes

Thank you for the review!! (Having devoured many of yours in the past, it feels a bit like some sort of induction rite to the IF community proper, hahah.)

I’m happy to hear that the writing landed well- I’ve much more of a background in writing than tinkering around with coding, and the gothic is one of my favourite genres to read/write/study. I wound up leaning into my comfort genre and what I felt a lot more confident in (imagery heavy, lots of surreal body horror) since I was a bit out of my depth with mucking around with the coding part. It’s nice to hear that paid off!

I loved those books as a kid! One of my favourite child oriented horror stories was that one about the vampire bunny- Bunnicula? So cute.

Some of the issues you’ve highlighted here are also ones that came to mind in the after-phase while I was writing the post mortem for Sweetpea and reflecting on the experience- the issue in figuring out how to deal with choices was complicated by the fact I hadn’t given it much thought until the very end of the just-shy-of-a-month I spent with the project in its entirety, oops. At which point it was really rather inconsistent! It’s definitely something I’ll keep in mind when writing interactive fiction in the future- (pick out how to signalpost choices and keep with it) and your feedback is super helpful.

The choices were also, regrettably, something a bit hampered by my inexperience- without having properly scoped out a project like this before, I wound up slashing a lot out to feel like I could finish a halfway viable project, and a great deal of those choices falling more into the 'oh jeez, I better get out/hide in a different room" side of things. This has been a great lesson in learning how to project manage- I was taken aback at the time by how long it took me to figure out the very basic macros and styling stuff I did with CSS/HTML, but hopefully in the future I can more accurately allot time so I don’t have to cut so heavily.

Your feedback is as ever, so thoughtful- and very much so appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to both play Sweetpea, and share your thoughts! I’m so thrilled that you enjoyed the writing! Cheers to being a fellow horror fan too. :blush:

11 Likes

Super Mega Tournament Arc!

This is a quite long Twine game about preparing for and fighting in a cyborg boxing tournament.

It comes with custom images, styling and animations, mostly health bars moving up and down and some neater tricks near the end. It has music as well by a person called gigakoops which is pretty good.

The story is about a down-and-out boxer with a loved one needing medical attention. You, the boxer, get some aid from an old man in a run-down gym. Together you train for the big day when the tournament will begin.

Writing-wise, it’s a competent and engaging blend of inspiration boxing movie and cyberpunk.

Choice-wise, I was a bit frustrated at first because so many choices were like ‘yes’, ‘yes, but phrased differently’, and ‘yes, but even another way’, with no ‘no’ in sight. I felt railroaded quite a bit at different times.

There is one major choice, which is which of three stats to focus on. This primarily comes into play late in the game, where high stats unlocking different paths.

The game has some nice narrative swerves, although one of the biggest ones was a double-swerve I didn’t see coming. Also, norse mythology ties into the game more and more as the game continues.

Overall, here’s what I think:

+Polish: The game is smooth and polished. There were a couple of bugs (my mom was referred to as ‘he’, and I almost clicked the ‘restart’ button because the menu moves up and down) but otherwise quite good for such a complex game.
+Descriptiveness: The descriptions were vivid.
-Interactivity: It pulled together at the end, but I felt confined for too much of the game.
+Emotional impact: I was into the story.
+Would I play again? Yeah, I’d like to see other paths.

5 Likes

A Single Ouroboros Scale

This game/narrative is one that references the IF world directly, something I’m always interested to see. I’ve played Bez’s games since 2015 and been listening a lot on Twitter, so I was interested to see how things coalesce.

The result is a complex narrative similar in structure to last year’s The Dead Account, but with very different content. Both games put you in the role of a moderator closing down the account of someone who’s passed on, a kind of in-memoriam/Citizen Kane/Spoon River anthology review of someone’s life and whether they are of worth.

What makes this game unusual is in its complex rewriting of reality and the IF world. It’s a difficult feat to call out an entire community without calling out the individual people in it; to do so, Bez has created an entire false community replete with echoes of shadows of real people but which is so entirely different as to render it impossible to point fingers. This is a real feat; I feel like I’ve been embedded in the community under question here and played a role in many of these events but I couldn’t point a finger at any person and say 'I know who that is!

For instance, the Jot Archive Volunteer Project is strongly reminiscent of both IFDB, the intfiction forums, twitter, and the old rec.arts.int-fiction forums and IFMUD. MrDear makes me thing of Ryan Veeder, Mr Patient/Sean Shore, Graham Nelson, etc.

The content of the game is several years worth of tweets or posts, describing a journey through games that is clearly (even mentioned as such in the author’s note) Bez’s own journey through the IF world, even if it doesn’t always meet up one to one. Sometimes, the parallels are obvious (Bez’s Queer in Public vs Algie’s “Queer As F*** Because F*** You”), and other times its harder (there doesn’t seem a clear parallel to the real 2020’s Lore Distance Relationship, Bez’s most popular game).

Points made about the community include:
-Twine is often overshadowed in big competitions by parser; even though there are clear outliers it remains the reality for most entrants
-Cis white males often have more success in IF with what seems to be less effort
-Due to the prominent position of some women in IF (which I’d assume would refer to both cis women like Emily Short and trans women like Porpentine), the marginalization of most people who aren’t white cis men goes unnoticed

It’s hard to disagree with those points.

Beyond that, there’s some excellent quotes about writing games in general which I copied down:

“Making games is about giving somebody a hidey-hole to see my heart through if that makes sense? And nobody seems to really care about that imho.”

I’ve often thought that IF and writing in general is a way of sharing a piece of your soul with someone. So I agree with that. But then he presents a new thought which hadn’t occurred to me:

“But it is also only the version of me that was preserved at that time. AND does not mean you 100% know me or what I’m thinking. Unless I say it is all me in there, don’t assume that ffs.”

I’ve never really thought about how media takes a snapshot of our current selves and saves it for the future, whether we want it to or not. I think that explains a lot of older authors wanting to remove things they wrote in the past that were objectionable or cringe.

And this is the last thing I copied down:
“I feel like my need for external approval is an ouroboros that will never EVER be fulfilled. Either I seek it and don’t get it (often) or I seek it and do get the level I wanted (rare) but it ain’t enough. My goal is so far away, and it keeps moving, so maybe I gotta lower my damn expectations—towards myself and in the IF world.”

The end of the game concludes with Bez’s current reality and deepest fears brought together to their possible end: the death of an author after a forgetting mind disease, followed by a second death when the community forgets him.

As a side note, I found it emotionally jarring when the game started with you helping an older IF figure to prune and delete people’s old stuff, because that’s what I’m actually doing in real life right now, working on a project where I close out people’s old stuff that’s no longer relevant. Fortunately, it’s just bug reports, so no one’s hard work or creative labor is being lost.

Assigning a rating to a game like this is behaving exactly like the narrative actors it contains, who judge and rank and sort and gatekeep. However, I am going to do so anyway:
+Polish: The game is thoroughly polished
+Descriptiveness: The writing is vivid and detailed.
+Emotional impact: clearly the game resonated with me
+Would I play again? I think so.
?Interacivity: On one hand, there’s not much to do besides run through the list of things and then make a decision. On the other hand, the game itself talks about how stories don’t have to be approached as systems first and stories later. On the other hand, I don’t think I should give a high rating in a category just because the game calls it out. On the final hand, though, I wanted to rethink my decision at the end and spent a while reloading the page because there was no immediate reload, so it seems clear the interactivity worked for me at some level.

10 Likes

Thank you so much for your thoughts, Brian! I really appreciate you playing my humble game.

I’m gonna try to hunt down the bug you mentioned w/r/t pronouns. Since this was my first Twine game I knew I needed to keep it somewhat railroaded to fulfill my vision in time. I think there’s hope in the future of a “Championship Edition,” as it were, to really flesh out some of those options. I know I’d like to have that.

3 Likes

I think that for a first Twine game it’s excellent. If you’re interested in branching out into other styles of choices, there is a famous blog post by Sam Kabo Ashwell you might like:

Thanks for the fun game! I found it entertaining and worth playing. And I’ll replay it if you do release another version!

5 Likes

Lovely, thank you! I’ll tuck this away. I love documents like this.

3 Likes

Orbital Decay

There is a long tradition in IF of space games where you start alone in or near a damaged space station and have to make it out alive or at least figure out what’s happened. It’s a genre I enjoy.

This one goes out of its way to focus on realistic aspects, something I haven’t seen much before. A lot of images directly from NASA are used, as well as a variety of free images online that have been modified, with accompanying music.

Using airlocks requires a variety of processes, including exercising! Hadn’t known that was a thing with pressure changes before.

I ran into a couple of issues with lists not lining up (numbers and text was mismatched) but I think that might just be my Chrome browser, as the same thing happened with a website my son was working on, so I don’t think it’s the author’s fault.

The only thing I felt really lacking here was emotional engagement. The processes were interesting and clinical, and there were definitely places I could have hooked in emotionally (a picture of family, the loss of Commander Rico), but for whatever reason I just didn’t feel that connection. Overall, well done scientific space adventure.

8 Likes

Thank you very much for playing and your consideration and thoughts; I really do appreciate it.

Strange about the lists not lining up…I haven’t touched HTML/CSS in years and years though, so it’s entirely possible. Although I did playtest on my Chrome browser as well and didn’t have that issue, but it sounds like it may be a compatibility issue. I’ll have to try it other browsers as well and see if it’s different on Linux or Chromebook as well. Either way, thanks for letting me know.

Absolutely agree on the emotional aspect. I had high hopes of fleshing out the story more, but I spent too much time on a myriad of different things. There’s a lot of things that need work. More focus on “story” is absolutely on the list for v2, along with original artwork.

3 Likes