Mathbrush IFDB reviews IFComp 2022 (Done reviewing)

I think the Hidden King’s Tomb link goes to the wrong game?

1 Like

Thanks, I fixed it!

Thanks for the review of YMNE! What you wrote really means a lot, so thank you for that, too.

2 Likes

Another 10 games are up!

Cannelé & Nomnom was fun, but it is unfinished and the author has asked for us to post our theories, and they might be incorporated into the final chapter.

My idea board broke by the end of the game because I save and restored over many days, and so I lost most of my post-it notes.

But here are my ideas right now for who the protagonist is, what their powers are and what happened:

The powers seem to enhance any liquid they consume. This explains the agitation from the coffee, the drunkenness from the cannelé, and the fact that the protagonist forget everything from the ‘special drinks’.

That all seems pretty clear. But who the protagonist is is more confusing, as well as stuff with nomnom and cannele. So I’m going to go off wild. The policeman tries to avoid the protagonist. I wonder if the protagonist was someone who was an informant for or undercover cop for the police, and was on the verge of exposing corruption in the police, and was starting to feed information to Nomnom and Cannele. When they were going to meet, that policeman, the MC’s handler, caught them and drugged everyone with the amnesia potion to protect himself from being exposed. Fortunately for him, this resulted in the MC’s complete loss of knowledge. Cannele and Nomnom never met him in person before that night, so they don’t recognize him after the mind-wipe, and they’re so dumb they don’t realize he’s the informant they’ve been talking to this whole time (cannele’s power doesn’t reveal it because their power relies on surrounding people’s knowledge and the MC doesn’t know who he is, or maybe the power worked yesterday but became wiped. An alternative is that the MC worked with them a ton and they all get mega mind-wiped, with the twins having to re-name each other and forgetting geography and how to take care of hair.

1 Like

10 more reviews are up, and 2 other games I’m passing on for content warnings, so only 9 to go!

4 Likes

Nice work! I admit, I thought this year since I had a one week head start I might beat you to the post, but it was not to be :slight_smile:

BTW, re Witchfinder: to solve the second puzzle, you need to buy a candle before you talk to the old man at the esplanade - that way he’ll recognize you as a witch. If you don’t, you’re locked out of the puzzle when he leaves; I think the game ends when you’ve accomplished everything you can, rather than being on a timer.

3 Likes

I think it helps that I write reviews that are half the size of yours!

Thanks for the tip!

4 Likes

And that’s it, I’ve finished all the reviews I plan on doing for this comp.

Two games I reviewed but didn’t finish are The Only Possible Prom Dress and Lost Coastlines (although I did get one nice ending to the latter), both of which I plan on playing more over the next month or so.

Glad to take a break now, would be a shame if people release a bunch of Ectocomp games and had to start all over again…

19 Likes

Thanks for all of your reviews! I enjoyed reading them. I appreciate your excitable curiosity and wide ranging, open minded interest in whatever comes you way. :slight_smile:

6 Likes