Maps, arrays and dungeons

Hi there,

I play with Twine Version : 2.3.9 and Harlowe 3.1.0

I am trying to understand how to use arrays to create a walkable map. I have found a few exemples.
Like the “dungeonmoving” in the cookbook, an old topic on the previous forum or a video on youtube.

I usually like to copy the code and then play with it making small changes to understand it better. But none of the exemples worked when I tried running them (even on harlowe 1.2.4 or 2.1.0). I always have errors like :

I can’t spread out the number 0, because it is not a string, dataset, or array.
There isn’t a temp variable named _row in this place.
There isn’t a temp variable named _col in this place.
You can’t get data values from the number 0.

And the map only print : .#

If any of you could give me an even very simple working example (or even a simple tip for handling these types of stories), that would help me a lot.
Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Oh… I feel very stupid now…
As I tested the all system for hours, I just realised the tag on Startup was wrong. I wrote “Startup” instead of “startup” so this passage was ignored and the map was not being generated…

1 Like

Case sensitivity can be a cruel mistress.

Yes indeed, haha !

I tried to edit for so long that I was becoming crazy :slight_smile:

But that time wasn’t wasted, if I have a similar issue in the future I will check that first.

I am happy now, it is working very well.

1 Like

Also, you shouldn’t feel stupid. I’ve been coding for over 20 years and it still catches me unaware sometimes. It’s easy to assume that you have a large logic problem in your code, when actually it’s a single character that brings your game to a crashing halt. :sweat_smile: