Malinche Games

Has anyone actually played one of this companies works? I realize the company has a bad standing with the IF community overall (I even got into the fray), but wanted to know if someone has bitten bullet or knows someone who has.

The only review I found is at JustAdventure:

justadventure.com/reviews/Pe … ntari.shtm

But it certainly looks like the reviewer hasn’t played enough modern IF to give his opinion levity.

::EDIT::

Okay, found another two, same reviewer, different Malinche games. Seems he’s cooled to further Malinche offerings.

The First Mile.

justadventure.com/reviews/Fi … tMile.shtm

And Greystone.

justadventure.com/reviews/Gr … stone.shtm

I’ve tried some of them myself, and I once planned on writing my comments about it somewhere. However, I was sufficiently warned about Sherman. I’d rather not comment on it. :wink:

Try going through the rec.arts.int-fiction archives and see for yourself.

I played one game that someone sent me and my opinion of it pretty much mirrored what I’d heard from everyone else about it: that it wasn’t much good. There were a lot of bugs, a lot of typos and a lot of things that just didn’t make any sense (in one location I hit someone and broke his nose, yet the room description still indicated he was standing calmly by the bar; in another location, exits moved entirely at random). I haven’t played any of the later Malinche games, more due to Howard Sherman’s personality (or lack of) than anything else, so maybe he’s improved but part of me finds that I don’t really care. I certainly don’t intend to buy a game by someone like him.

But as he’s sold 150,000 copies of his games, I guess me not buying them won’t bother him too much… :slight_smile: