Make it harder to hack twine games

…and if the end-user uses JavaScript in the Console to replace your onsubmit handler with one of their own? :smile:

1 Like

Then they still can’t progress beyond that door.

1 Like

Since the last page of the game is encrypted, there’s no way to read it in the source unless you know/submit the passphrase.

Hash collisions are a thing, though. They may not find the “real” password, but they could (given enough time and/or hardware) find another one that works.

Granted, using cryptography does dramatically raise the effort vs. reward tradeoff. But as HiEv said, this isn’t really all that practical inside a Twine game. I don’t think you can encrypt the whole of the rest of the story; you could encrypt part of one passage, perhaps, but it could still be bypassed entirely with little effort.

1 Like

And as Dan pointed out, this will be for naught the instant someone posts a hint guide or walk through, unless the OP makes it their life mission to scour the web and report all hint threads.

I know the puzzle is randomly generated, but a hint thread telling you that the answer is 2 + 4 is only one thought process removed from telling you it’s 6.

Basically I’m bringing this all the way back around to Zarf’s comment:

2 Likes