Mac IDE Questions

Here they are describing one way of opening a downloaded file, from the browser you have used to download the file. In Firefox you can click the file name from the downloaded files list to open a file, in Safari you have to double-click the filename in Safari’s downloaded files list. The file itself is the same no matter which browser you use, but the opening procedure changes depending on the browser.

Here is another way to open the same file: click on the magnifying glass icon of the downloaded file from the list(same in Firefox and Safari) to open the location of the file’s folder in Finder, then double-click on the filename or right-click on filename and choose Open with->DiskImageMounter.app in the Finder app. Rest is the same, open Applications and move the Inform.app icon to the Applications Folder.

One issue that might bear mentioning is that the Mac IDE (I don’t know about the Windows IDE) has a bug with undo/redo. If you do multiple undos/redos too fast, it will scramble your text.

I think the undo/redo code is not thread-safe, so that the updates step all over each other.

1 Like

I am sure I remember being able to collapse sections of the story text in older versions (on macOS).

Am I imagining it or is it still there and I can’t work out how to do it?

Still works the same as before, I’m pretty sure. Select the “Contents” tab in the Source pane, then click on one of the sections in the contents tree.

Or the “Headings” submenu under “Edit”.

Thanks Zarf.

I swear I tried the Headings submenu before and it didn’t work, but I think I was clicking on the name of the heading not the heading itself, which just highlights the subheadings under it.

As an aside, the Index->Contents blue arrow collapsing method (which I also just realised works) and the Headings method do not play nicely together :slight_smile: I had to reload the file to get the full view back.