Ludum Dare #33: August 21-24

This isn’t IF-specific, but I thought it might be of interest to people on this forum.

Ludum Dare is an international game jam competition held three times a year (it’s probably the second best-known game jam after the Global Game Jam). It’s not specifically focused on interactive fiction, but interactive fiction is welcome - see Anna Anthropy’s queers in love at the end of the world for one example.

The next Ludum Dare is this coming weekend, August 21-24. Theme voting is in progress over here. The final theme will be revealed at the start of the event, which is (as I write this) 4 days, 4 hours, and 21 minutes away.

The full rules are here, but there are basically two versions:

1. The Jam
  • Work alone or in a team.
  • You have 72 hours to make your game.
  • You may use third-party or previously-created assets (artwork, music, etc)
  • You are not required to share your source code.
  1. The Compo (aka Ludum Dare Hard Mode)
  • You must work alone.
  • You have 48 hours to make your game.
  • You must create all assets (art, music, etc) yourself, and they must all be created inside the 48 hours.
  • You must release your source code.

Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with Ludum Dare. I’ve participated once before, and I’m tackling it again this weekend, but that’s all. So I’m probably not good at answering complicated questions.

If was fun for me to hear LD (that I first heard of long ago, but have never participated in - never had much luck with online speedhacks/jams) as second best known after Global Game Jam (which I’d never heard of), so I looked up the GGJ… That sounds like fun, and I’ll seriously consider taking part in GGJ '16. So thanks for that!

I’ll be maybe participating in my usual partially-interested partially-distracted way.

Caelyn actually made an IF entry for this - Campaign Trail OF BODIES, done in Twine. I really enjoyed it. (It may be my sleep-deprived state speaking, but ripping the heads off my constituents was exactly what I needed right now.)

Mine (Help! It’s A Hero!) was a graphical Unity project, so not really appropriate to this forum. But the tutorial probably has more text in it than it should. That’s like interactive fiction, right?

The link for Campaign Trail goes to a FAQ, is that intentional?..

I believe the red box above that (“WARNING! This entry may contain subject matter…”) is the actual game.

Aaaaaah.

I feel silly now.

Thanks.

…aaand I ended up working on code for something else entirely. Oh well.

Congrats, Caelyn and Carolyn!