Looping music in I7?

Hey team. I’m sure this has been answered but my searches only came up with pretty arcane stuff.

I just want to loop a single .ogg in my Inform 7 game constantly. It’s background music and pretty sparse, so I’m not that concerned about making my audience bored.

Is it possible to do this without too much script/extension wrestling?

the extension “multiple sounds” :slight_smile:

Or if you don’t want an extension you can look at the code for “The Art of Fugue”, which includes a very simple unstoppable loop function.

I know a song that’ll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves…

You’re telling me it never ends?

Hmmm, not convinced this is a good idea. Personally I’m not keen on music in IF at the best of times. Never ending would drive me to turn the speakers off.

It’s easy to do game music poorly. You can’t just slap something you like on there because the lyrics kind of fit. Even people who get so far as finding something that fits the appropriate mood and doesn’t have lyrics (or at least, not in English, because those make it harder to read at the same time) often don’t find something that fades into the background rather than drawing attention. If you don’t have to worry about copyrights, you can find lots of video game music that pulls this off, since it is actually designed to do that.