Looking to get understanding of how Inform handles men/wome

So I’m trying to refer to a character as a ‘man’ or as a ‘woman’, and going snake trying to do so. I’m just not understanding how to get Inform to allow me to reference a character as a man or as a woman when talking or examining.

For example, the following code:

Anna is a woman. "A woman with black hair." Anna is in a room called the Test Room. The Test Room contains a table. 

runs fine. But the command

x woman

Returns

You can't see any such thing.

in Inform 7 v6M62.

I can’t just say “Understand ‘woman’ as Anna” as I will have more than one female character in the game. Can anyone help explain how to do what I’m trying to do? I’ve been tearing my hair out for more than week over this. Thanks!

Will you have more than one woman in the same room at the same time?

The “First Name Basis” example in the documentation shows how to do this:

So you can say

Understand "woman" as a woman.

If the player types “woman” and there’s more than one, Inform will ask which one they mean. That’s only a problem if there’s no way for the player to distinguish the two. (Which shouldn’t be an issue if they have different names.)

It was just that simple. And sure enough, the example in the documentation was clear; I just missed it as I didn’t check the example carefully enough. Thanks so much; that solved my problem and got me moving again. bg, I appreciate the help.