Looking in directions - as a room property?

I have a question which I imagine will be easily answered.

When I look in a direction (the default response is something like “you see nothing unexpected in that direction”) can I control this using properties of the room, or do I need to use an instead rule?

I ask because I can’t imagine adding 10 “Instead of looking X when the player is in Y” rules for all of my 100+ rooms - that would clog up the rulebook considerably.

My question is this: is there a room property that allows me to specify what the player would see in any of the directions? Or do I need to set up a new looking in a direction activity, add new properties to the room type, and parse appropriately?

If you want to see the adjacent room when you look in a direction, you can give each room a “remote view” property or something - is that what you had in mind?

[code]A room has a text called the remote view.

Your lawn is a room. “You are out in your lawn.” The remote view is “The grass is greener over in your lawn.”

Their Lawn is west of Your Lawn. “You are sneaking around in their lawn.” The remote view is “The grass is greener over in their lawn.”

Instead of examining a direction (called way):
Let the vista be the room way from the location;
If the vista is not a room, continue the action;
If the remote view of the vista is empty, continue the action;
say the remote view of the vista;
say paragraph break.[/code]

If you want a special message when looking in each direction from each room, that’s a lot of work no matter how you slice it. I think an instead rule would be just as much work as a property, really. You’d have to create 12 properties, or use a table.

[code]Table of Views
vantage facing view
a room a direction a text
with 0 blank rows

Instead of examining a direction:
Repeat through Table of Views:
if the vantage entry is the location and the facing entry is the noun:
say view entry;
say paragraph break;
rule succeeds;
continue the action;

Cell is a room. “A concrete cell.”

Table of Views (continued)
vantage facing view
Cell north “You can see a corridor through the open cell door.”
Cell south “There is a tiny window high on the south wall.”
Cell west “There are 69,105 tick marks on the west wall.”
Cell east “The east wall is completely blank.”

Corridor is north of Cell. “A long corridor of cells.”

Table of Views (continued)
vantage facing view
Corridor north “The cell door to the north is closed and locked, and you don’t have a key.”
Corridor south “The cell door to the south stands open.”
Corridor west “The corridor extends to the west, to the entrance.”
Corridor east “The corridor extends to the east, ending in a blank wall.”
[/code]

You could take a hybrid approach, giving each room a table-name to its own table of views. Maybe slightly less typing, but maybe not.

Yeah, that’s what I figured. I like your tabular approach, since that way I don’t have 1000+ rules clogging up the rulebook.
It seems more elegant of a solution than using a mess of instead rules.
I wonder if having 1000+ entries in a table would get slow, especially when accessing entries toward the end of it?

Has anyone experimented with extremely large tables before?

In my experience, tables are really fast. Quite memory efficient, too.