Looking for a New Parser-Based Story for the Classroom

Hi, All,

I hope this note finds you well.

I’m looking for a new parser-based game for use in the classroom. In particular, I’d like to find a new game that emphasizes story more than puzzles.

I haven’t yet come upon such a story in the newly-concluded IF Comp, but, of course, there are lots of games, among the eighty-something, that I haven’t tried.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Have a great day!

Peace,
Brendan

1 Like

What sort of age group would the children be? Or is this adult education?

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’m looking mainly for stories from the recent IF Comp. I work with students of many ages, ranging from twelve-year-olds to undergraduates.

Peace,
Brendan

1 Like

Maybe Out? It’s parser and de-emphasizes puzzles.

1 Like

Although it’s from a few years ago, I designed Fair to be freeform, exploratory and character/story-based. There is an optional meta-game puzzle, but there is nothing that will hold the player up or get them stuck. The story progresses and concludes over time no matter what the player does.

It’s also all-ages content-appropriate, though the prose might go over the heads of very young beginning readers.

Minorest of Content Warnings

The player-character is an author who has written a SciFi novel which includes a “tri-gendered” race of alien beings, and a few of the small-town NPCs who are students and parents may comment on the appropriateness of that “for children”. There is no specific nor explicit detail of the actual content.

There is also a minor running joke regarding the appropriateness of a musical adaptation of A Handmaid’s Tale but this shouldn’t even register to anyone unfamiliar with the plot details of that novel.

https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=wzz9ycw8ujt9ts1a

2 Likes

From the current comp, Enceladus is a game that de-emphasises puzzles.

2 Likes

From this comp:

I agree with Out and Enceladus. Meeting Robb Sherwin is completely story-based, there aren’t any real puzzles in it at all. Winter Break at Hogwarts has some puzzles but you can play for hours before really encountering them, just exploring rooms the whole time.

If you are okay with other recent, non-comp stuff, you could try Veeder’s Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone. I haven’t tried it yet, but if it’s anything like the original Balderstone, it’s just tongue-in-cheek and/or actually disturbing horror stories with some interactivity. https://rcveeder.itch.io/balderstone2

2 Likes

Hi, All,

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve had “Fair” on my list of choices for kids for some time, and it’s just the sort of thing I had in mind.

“Out” will probably be great as a short piece, and I’m always looking for those in connection with my IF Club, especially when I get new students.

“Enceladus” is one that I haven’t tried yet, but just the idea of a Rob Sherwin story that I can use with kids (even if limited to mature kids) has me very intrigued. I’ll try it for sure.

I’ve been using Ryan Veeder stories for a while now, especially “Taco Fiction” and “The Ascent of the Gothic Tower.”

Thanks, again!

Peace,
Brendan

3 Likes

Just tried “Enceladus” and found it very funny and quite suitable for older kids. I think my IF Club group will love it.

5 Likes