Looking for a better phrasing of "rooms"

I’m making a game with a kind of magical door that can be picked up and carried around via the doorknob.

So I’ve given each doorknob the property of “A doorknob usually has a room.” The rooms are defined by “the room of the [doorknob defined] is…” and I’ve gotten all that to work, but when I went to define an unlinked room it would not understand that “Ancient Hall is a room” but gave me the error that it understood them as two separate objects.

I was able to work around this by defining two rooms at once: “Ancient Hall is west of the Study” and the game works fine, but is there a way I can assign a room to this kind of item without somehow wrecking this definition?

2 Likes

I think you just need to name the property.

A magic doorknob is a kind of thing.
A magic doorknob has a room called the destination.
The Ancient Hall is a room.
The blue doorknob is a magic doorknob.
The destination of the blue doorknob is the Ancient Hall.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this kind of request before, and often a good response is: try the extension Easy Doors by Hanon Ondricek. It’s in the public library, and elsewhere.

-Wade

2 Likes

Thank you for your help you guys, I’ll try the solution, and check out the extension.

I always forget to name my properties, and this solved my problem cleanly and beautifully.

1 Like